Volunteering at DuPage County Animal Care and Control
DuPage County Animal Care and Control (DCACC) welcomes volunteers who support our mission and desire to make a contribution to the welfare of animals in our community. Volunteers at DCACC play a crucial role in helping to care for the animals, as well as provide enrichment, training and
socialization for the animals in our care.
Volunteers commit to a weekly schedule. A six month commitment of four hours a month is required for adult volunteers. A three month commitment of four hours a month is required for children ages 10-17. Children ages 10-17 must volunteer with a parent at all times.
The majority of volunteer opportunities available are Monday-Friday during the day time.
Interested in becoming a DCACC Volunteer? First check the current open volunteer opportunities to see if you are available to help where needed. Second, complete a volunteer application online.
Current open volunteer opportunities:
- Thursdays 10 a.m.
- Friday 10 a.m.
- Mondays a.m.
- Tuesdays a.m.
- Tuesdays p.m.
- Wednesdays p.m.
- Fridays p.m.
- Tuesdays 10:30-11:30
- Tuesdays 3:30-4:30
- Wednesdays 2:00-3:30
- Mondays 2:00-3:00
- Mondays 3:00-4:00
- Tuesdays 1:00-2:00
Volunteer Application online if you are able to fulfill one of the above open opportunities.
Once your application has been submitted you will be contacted via email by the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule a volunteer orientation. Please note that it may take a few weeks before you are contacted about upcoming orientations. Once you have attended an orientation, you will need to
attend a hands-on training specific to your volunteer assignment. The entire process from submitting an application through being fully trained and ready to volunteer may take up to a month.
Volunteers - Adoption Cat Room Cleaning - Open Position
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 11:00am
- Animal care volunteers are responsible for cleaning the adoption cat room (cleaning, feeding, grooming, and providing exercise).
Dishes and Miscellaneous Kennel Assistance - Open Positions
- Monday - Saturday, mid-morning
- Volunteers assist with cleaning and sanitizing food dishes, litter pans, cages etc.
- Volunteer will help with additional kennel assistance, laundry assistance, making enrichment items for shelter animals and other assistance as requested.
Dog Walkers/Socializer - See Open Volunteer Opportunities
- Monday - Saturday
- Dog walkers assist with getting all adoption dogs outside for their morning and end of day potty breaks.
- Volunteers spend time with dogs needing additional exercise, socialization and training.
Socializer - Open Position
- Mon. & Thurs 12:00pm - 7:00pm; Tues.,Wed., Fri. 1:00pm - 4:30pm
- Volunteer to groom and exercise adoption cats.
Pals - Positions Currently Filled
- Wednesdays 10:00am - 11:00am
- Accompany shelter staff and adoptable pets to the DuPage County Convalescent Center to visit with residents.
Volunteers - Open Positions
- Small animal volunteers clean, socialize and exercise adoption rabbits and other small animals. Previous rabbit handling experience is highly recommended. Daytime availability is desired.
Adoption Cat Volunteers - Open Position
- Seven days a week during store hours.
- The Wheaton Petco in Danada East houses DuPage County Animal Care and Control adoption cats and kittens. Volunteers clean cages, socialize cats and kittens and assist with adoptions. For more information on joining this team of volunteers please contact Dina at (630)
Volunteer Now! Click
here to complete
a Volunteer Application online.
We welcome youth volunteers. Individuals under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent at all times. Both the youth and the parent must fill out a volunteer application. Any youth that are volunteering for required service credit must complete three
months of volunteer service prior to service requirement deadlines. For more information about specific programs or current volunteer openings please call Dina at (630) 407-2805 or email