Special Road & Trails Event Permitting
If your not-for-profit group wants to hold an event (such as a run/walk/bicycling fundraiser or school/scouting event/project) on the DuPage County highway and/or trail system and/or use the Rugaard Gazebo in Villa Park, please be aware that you will need a Highway Permit for a special event from the Division of Transportation. To obtain a Highway Permit, please contact the Highway Permitting Department at (630) 407-6900 (Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm, excluding holidays) or through the website at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to a County highway permit, a permit is required for use of the Rugaard Gazebo (Illinois Prairie Path- Main Stem at Ardmore Avenue, Villa Park) by the Villa Park- Parks & Recreation Dept. Contact them directly at (630) 834-8525 or their website at: Villa Park - Parks & Recreation to verify their permitting procedures/fees for such use. Additionally, you may be required to obtain permission from the local municipalities that your event will be held in along with coordination with local law enforcement and/or the DuPage County Sheriff's Department.
With regards to use of the Prairie Path and/or Great Western Trail rights-of-way, all participants will need to obey the 'Rules of the Trail':
- Share the trail with pedestrians, bicyclists, horseback riders, and other users.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed on the system.
- All users should keep right on the trail. Riders should travel single file, and passing should occur on the left.
- Users should announce their intention to pass.
- Move off the trail when stopped.
- No alcoholic beverages or controlled substances are allowed on the system.
- All animals should be kept leashed and owners should clean up after them.
- Always wear a helmet when bicycling.
Additionally, general trail permitting requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Racing is NOT permitted on the trail system,
- The permittee is required to pick up their event generated debris (including any warning/informational signage); and
- No equipment and/or materials shall interfere with the movement of pedestrians or bicyclists on the Path/Trail riding surface.