Green Initiatives - DuPage County Latex Paint Recycling Program
The DuPage County Latex Paint Recycling Program has ended. This page will be updated if future latex paint recycling opportunities are available.
Latex Paint Management
Below are some helpful reuse and recycling tips to better manage use of latex paint, or watch this SCARCE video on tips for proper disposal.
- When painting a room, buy the necessary amount needed for the project - look beyond what is on sale.
- Save left over paint in a glass jar that leaves almost no air space, and keep the paint for touch ups.
- Then, label the jar for which room the paint was used, or keep in the room itself, to ensure the correct paint will be used in the same room.
- Do not store paint in the garage. Once frozen, it is not reusable.
- Left over unusable latex paint should be consolidated into one container and dried with cat litter, sawdust or another absorbent material (ie. oil absorbent).
- Once the paint is completely dry, it can be put out with regular garbage curbside pickup. Be sure to remove the lid on the paint can, so the waste company driver can see that the paint is dry. Some waste companies will not take the dried paint, unless the lid is off.
- For a small fee, some local Ace Hardware stores are collecting latex paint to be re-blended and recycled into new latex paint. Visit this website to find a latex paint recycling location near you.
Oil Based Paint, Paint Thinners, Stain and Varnish Finishes are Toxic
Illinois residents may drop off unwanted, oil-based paint at the Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility, located in Naperville. This is a drive through, free drop-off facility open to everyone every Sat & Sun from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. (excluding Holidays). For more information and a complete list of all accepted hazardous materials, visit the facility's website or call (630) 420-6095 during weekdays. The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility is funded by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, DuPage County and neighboring government agencies.