Green Initiatives - DuPage County Latex Paint Program
The County's Latex Paint Recycling Program has ended for the 2016 season. Please check back in the spring 2017 for information on next year's program.
There is no recycled paint available from the 2016 program.
Recycling Locations at Local Hardware Stores
Several local Ace Hardware stores have partnered with Epaint and provide collection of latex and oil-based paints for a fee. Visit
the Epaint website for more information and pricing. EarthPaint also accepts latex paint for a fee, visit their website for full details.
Latex Paint Management
Below are some helpful reuse and recycling tips to better manage use of latex paint, or watch this
SCARCE video on tips for proper disposal.
- When painting a room, buy the necessary amount needed for the project - look beyond what is on sale.
- Save left over paint in a glass jar that leaves almost no air space, and keep the paint for touch ups.
- Then, label the jar for which room the paint was used, or keep in the room itself, to ensure the correct paint will be used in the same room.
- Do not store paint in the garage. Once frozen, it is not reusable.
- Left over unusable latex paint should be consolidated into one container and dried with cat litter, sawdust or another absorbent material (ie. oil absorbent).
- Once the paint is completely dry, it can be put out with regular garbage curbside pickup. Be sure to remove the lid on the paint can, so the waste company driver can see that the paint is dry. Some waste companies will not take the dried paint, unless the lid is off.
Oil Based Paint, Paint Thinners, Stain and Varnish Finishes are Toxic
Illinois residents may drop off unwanted, oil-based paint at the Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility, located in Naperville. This is a drive through, free drop-off facility open to everyone every Saturday & Sunday from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. (excluding Holidays). For more information and
a complete list of all accepted hazardous materials, visit
the facility's website or call 630-420-6095 during weekdays. The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility is funded by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, DuPage County and neighboring government agencies.