Job Details for 1462 - Micro Systems Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of moderate difficulty supporting the computer operations of a department; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class spends a substantial amount of time supporting and programming department applications, maintaining a micro-computer network, and providing technical support to end users.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Works with department users to develop computer program specifications
• analyzes needs for software, obtains price and compatibility information
• Monitors all elements of network facilities including capacity, software, modems and terminals
• Monitors performance and status of network resources
• Identifies and diagnoses problems affecting network performance
• Installs new hardware and maintains existing hardware
• Orders equipment and repairs
• Verifies malfunctioning equipment and determines appropriate course of action
• Provides technical support to end users
• Conducts training classes and provides one-on-one training and coaching support to users
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs other duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Internal system operation and software interface capabilities
• Computer hardware and software
• Best practices and industry standards for Information Technology.
• Customer service principles
• Translating or expressing technical machine functions of electronic information technology systems into non-technical terms
• Performing equipment interfacing and network configurations
• Reasoning logically regarding operational aspects of computer applications
• Installing, maintaining and troubleshooting equipment
• Documenting programs and maintaining records
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing
• Work independently or as part of a team
• Set and follow priorities
• Research emerging technology and comprehend new technology
• Read, interpret and apply complex technical publications, manuals and other documents
• Carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral or diagram form, and to produce desired outcomes
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of an Associate's degree in Computer Information Systems. Two years of database administration experience in a network environment; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Incumbents may be subjected to moving electrical currents, extreme temperatures, inadequate lighting, and workplace restrictions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS