Job Details for 4222 - Laundry Attendant II
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of routine difficulty operating industrial laundry equipment to provide laundry cleaning services for the DuPage County Convalescent Center; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs manual work to ensure that the prescribed amount of linens and clothing are provided to Convalescent Center residents. Work is performed according to predetermined deadlines while adhering to necessary sanitation and safety procedures. This position is distinguished from the Laundry Attendant I by requiring the ability to operate complex industrial laundry equipment. General supervision is received from the Laundry Supervisor or Housekeeping Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Empties linen chutes and transports linens to washing area
• Separates, sorts and shakes out laundry
• Sorts loads to assure efficiency in machines
• Coordinates wash loads to meet production needs
• Detects problems, errors and deficiencies pertaining to machine operations
• Coordinates wash loads to meet production needs
• Weighs proper amounts and loads linens into machines to maintain necessary balance
• Sets up and adds chemicals for laundering
• Monitors machines for balance and timing
• Reports irregularities in water quality, chemical efficiency and machine operation
• Unloads clean linens and transports to dryers
• Loads and unloads dryers, and sets correct timing and temperature controls
• Maintains weight records of laundry processed
• Transports carts
• Unloads and stores chemicals/soaps
• Cleans washers and machine area
• Checks and cleans floor drains
• Informs supervisor of any accidents, incidents, hazardous situations or equipment breakdowns
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Standard commercial laundry processes and equipment
• Safety precautions required in laundry operations
• The care and operation of laundry machines, materials, and chemicals
• Current office practices, procedures, and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Detecting problems with quality of laundry
• Troubleshooting the operating controls for the laundry equipment
• Understanding and following verbal and written instructions
• Using computer hardware and software including work processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations, and services of office to which assigned
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy Work: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and/or arms to operate equipment and load/unload machines, push and pull linen carts and lift up to 50 lbs. on a daily basis.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work will occur in a field environment. The work environment for this position regularly includes standing for long periods of time and working near moving mechanical parts, with strong odors and airborne particles, and under conditions of high temperatures and humidity.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS