FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of moderate difficulty in performing general architectural drafting work; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs all necessary in-house general architectural drafting work and field inspections, spends time interacting with external contractors and management to prepare and maintain structural drawings. Work is performed under general supervision from the Deputy Director of Facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Updates all County building existing architectural drawings
• Assures quality design constructions and cost control
• Coordinates design contract activities
• Evaluates proposed projects and determines nature of work to be performed and methods to do so
• Files plans and specifications
• Reviews and analyzes requests of departments requiring work
• Updates job priority list
• Maintains inventory on all departmental drafting equipment identifying items which need renewal or replacements
• Prepares layouts, sketches or details on a computer aided design (CAD) system for approval prior to making construction drawings
• Assists as construction inspector on maintenance remodeling projects
• Makes field changes and confers with contractors
• Makes as-built drawings on completion of any new work and/or remodeling
• Performs field measures
• Assists in design of room layouts for new construction and remodeling
• Assists in the presentation, updating and distribution of mechanical, electrical and structural drawings
• Maintains architectural drawings archives
• Prepares spreadsheets and presentations relative to departmental projects
• Conducts research and identifies options for solution to departmental issues
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Mechanical and architectural drafting methods and techniques
• Automated CAD (Computer Aided Design) systems and other architectural industry specific software
• Building trades, materials and application methods
• Construction practices and building codes
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Management and leadership principles
• Reading and preparing blueprints, specifications and cost estimates
• The care and use of drafting tools and equipment
• Preparing drawings on a CAD system
• Verbal and/or written communications
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Planning, scheduling and supervising the work of others
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
• Monitor and evaluate employees
• Prioritize and assign work
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals
• Plan, organize, manage and evaluate the work of the division to ensure efficient, timely and cost-effective services
• Plan, analyze, and evaluate programs and services, operational needs, and fiscal constraints
• Provide leadership to effectively resolve issues
Exercises supervision of personnel in related area of responsibility.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Interior Design, Space Planning or related field, and three (3) years of experience in architectural drafting and design or space planning; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS