Job Details for 1469 - Senior Network Analyst
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under direction, performs work of considerable difficulty in installing, maintaining and supporting the County’s network related systems; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
This position involves the coordination of a full range of services for supporting the County’s internal and external network, server and storage infrastructure. This includes analysis, installation, enhancement, and maintenance of both software and hardware systems. Conducts research and evaluation of network server and storage technology and recommends purchases of network equipment. This position ensures smooth operation of communication network, server and storage environment in order to provide maximum performance and availability to end users.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Installs, tests, implements, and maintains various networks and systems (e.g. physical and virtual servers, SAN environment, server and storage backup and restore systems, system directories, etc.) system
• Installs, configures, maintains, documents, troubleshoots and upgrades hardware, firmware, peripherals, operating systems and applications as required
• Plans and supports networking infrastructure
• Installs all new hardware, systems and software for networks, servers and client/server systems
• Implements and manages appropriate network operating systems and file system security
• Establishes and maintains user accounts, file sharing, access privileges and security
• Identifies, diagnoses and resolves hardware and software performance issues
• Communicates with vendors to troubleshoot and assist with system issues as necessary
• Performs and maintains inventory of all network, server and related equipment
• Manages all system backups and restores
• Documents network design, layout and installations
• Documents problems and resolution for future reference
• Ensures all IT equipment complies with industry standards
• Evaluate network and server hardware and software systems and make recommendations.
• Manages assigned projects and program components to deliver services in accordance with established objectives
• Participate in 24x7 on-call rotation
• Serve as a lead on special projects as assigned
• Prepares operational reports as directed
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignment or schedule in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment, may require emergency management training, licensure or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Microsoft Server Operating Systems
• Active Directory Security
• Server based security
• VMware ESX host/servers
• Implementing and administering network devices
• LAN/WAN design, installation, troubleshooting
• Microsoft Exchange 2003/2007/2010
• Setting and maintaining policies and rights within a Windows Server 2003/2008 environment.
• The OSI network model, Ethernet, TCP/IP networking, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, FTP, SSH, SMTP, VOIP, IPS/IDS, etc.
• Common server monitoring and security utilities
• Effective communication, both verbally and in writing
• Making sound recommendations to improve and optimize network performance
• Analyzing facts and exercising judgment arriving to conclusions
• Learning, assimilating and acting upon large amounts of information rapidly
• Handling and resolving technical problems
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Work independently or as part of a team
• Set and follow priorities
• Research emerging technology and comprehend new technology
• Read, interpret and apply complex technical publications, manuals and other documents
• Carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral or diagram form, and to produce desired outcomes
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/MIS/Engineering or related field and three (3) years of experience in network administration, server/SAN administration; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS