Job Details for 4218 - Resident Transport Driver
FLSA STATUS: Non Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of routine difficulty transporting residents of the Convalescent Center in a safe and efficient manner; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Employees in this class perform work relative to the safe transport of residents for appointments and activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Provides transportation of residents, staff and volunteers in facility-owned vehicle
• Escorts residents to and from vehicle
• Operates the wheelchair lift
• Secures residents, wheelchairs and walkers in the vehicle per requirements
• Transfers residents from wheelchair to vehicle chair as needed
• Assists with feeding and other care needs of residents on outings
• Provides support and direction to volunteers involved in outings
• Assures a safe transition for the transported residents
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Operation of mechanical lift, wheelchairs, seat belts, restraining harnesses and wheelchair clamping devices
• Safe driving practices
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Operation of medium to large size vehicles
• Interacting courteously and tactfully with officials, co-workers and the general public
• Utilizing safe and proper lifting techniques and in operating equipment.
• Interpreting, understanding and responding to service requests
• Maintaining fixed schedules
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent; and two (2) years of experience with driving medium to large sized vehicles; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy Work: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to operate motorized equipment, reach with hands and/or arms, climb, crouch or stoop, and lift and carry up to 80 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes working near moving mechanical parts. Trips to and from transport bus may be made in extreme outside weather conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
This position requires a Valid Driver's License issued by the State of Illinois.