Employment Opportunity: Legal/Court Services
Title: Juvenile Detention Officer-Detention Screening and Court Transport
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Probation and Court Services
Division: Detention Center
Hours: Part-Time: Monday-Friday, 20 to 28 hours per week, flexible schedule
Salary: $20.84 per hour
The responsibilities of this position include:
• Providing transport for detained juveniles to and from the Kane County Juvenile Detention Center to the DuPage County Court House;
• Serving as liaison for all probation and Court personnel with the Kane County Juvenile Justice Center;
• During transport, providing crisis intervention and de-escalation as necessary to maintain safety and security;
• Maintaining accurate electronic and handwritten records and data on detained juveniles;
• Performing physical searches of juveniles and transport vehicles for contraband;
• Physically intervening and restraining violent juveniles using a trained skill to manage disruptive behavior;
• Interacting regularly with detained juveniles at the Kane County Juvenile Detention Center;
• Participating in and attending required departmental meetings and trainings;
• Conducting screening with police officers, parents, court personnel and other related duties to determine the need for secure custody; and
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for this position include:
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in the Behavioral Sciences;
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of agencies;
• Ability to use computer systems to collect and transmit information;
• Possess a valid Illinois Driver’s License with a good driving record; ability to drive a transport van carrying groups of juveniles;
• Effective crisis intervention skills;
• Ability to plan and organize the work to accommodate multiple priorities:
• Ability to collect and analyze information; summarizing information into written reports;
• Demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written;
• MUST BE AVAILABLE MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
• Exposure to resident behavior problems that may include physical acting out and require safe physical management skills;
• Exposure to juveniles in custody with mental health issues;
• Exposure to communicable diseases of youth.
Physical Requirements for this position include:
• Ability to sit for periods of time yet remain attentive to situation;
• Ability to physically intervene, restrain, subdue and transport physically violent juveniles, as necessary, as well as apply and remove handcuffs and/or restraint devices;
• Ability to repeatedly climb and descend stairs, and walk in excess of 1 mile throughout a 7½ to 9½ hour shift to complete daily transport of juveniles to and from Kane County to DuPage County;
• Ability to lift, pull/push, bend/squat, twist/rotate and/or carry up to @ 75lbs, to conduct daily operations such as transport of juveniles, moving/lifting of equipment and physically assisting juveniles into and out of the transport van, manual operation of transport vehicles including operation of security equipment, resident pat down searches;
• Ability to stand, sit, reach, squat, and operate mechanical and paperwork functions including monitoring and operation of safety and security equipment, supervision of residents during transport and awaiting court proceedings, coordination of internal and external communications, documentation and record keeping.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications for this position should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications accepted until position is filled.
Department of Probation & Court Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer