Employment Opportunity: Seasonal/Internships
Title: Community Services Intern
Posting No.: 1595
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Community Services
Hours: Temporary: 24 hours per week as scheduled, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., and up to one evening per week
Salary: $10.50 per hour
We currently have one (1) temporary Community Services Intern position open at this time. Internship is 500 hours and may be extended upon request.
DuPage County Community Services seeks an Intern for the Housing Supports and Self-Sufficiency & Senior Services units. The role of the Community Services Intern would be to conduct outreach, engagement, assessments and provide supportive services to low-income homeless individuals and families to assist them in entering and sustaining permanent housing that will enable them to continue to live as independently as possible. The intern would work closely with the supervisory staff of the Housing Supports and Self-Sufficiency & Senior Services units to learn and develop the necessary skills.
• Conducts comprehensive assessments with clients
• Determines clients’ needs and eligibilities for services
• Promotes awareness of available services and assists clients with making decisions
• Refers, coordinates and assists clients with enrollment into public benefit programs such as housing programs, supportive living, TANF, General Assistance, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, medical insurance coverage, disability assistance, as well as other resources that address the needs of the program participants. Advocate and intervene on behalf of program clients as appropriate
• Develops service plans detailing monthly outcomes as well as ongoing goals to be accomplished by the participant(s) and assistance to be provided
• Provides follow-up, monitoring, and case management
• Completes all mandated recording with accuracy and in a timely manner including recordings requiring use of various computer programs
• Participates as a team member in implementation and on-going development of the Continuum of Care’s Coordinated Entry System
• Attends community meetings to learn and share about services and attends trainings as directed
• Performs various routine clerical duties (using standard office equipment, to include: screening incoming calls, taking and transmitting messages, assisting in completing and compiling of client satisfaction surveys, outcome reports, or follow-up calls for both units)
• Performs other related duties as required
Requirements include the following experience or equivalent combination of training and experience:
• Must be actively enrolled in graduate level program in Social Work, Public Health or Human Services at an accredited institution to obtain a Master’s degree
• Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as time management skills
• Ability to multi-task with different assigned projects
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office products and basic internet applications
• Flexible and work well with others
• Working knowledge of social service processes, programs, services and/or resources desired
This is a grant funded position.
A pre-employment background check is required.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer