The County of DuPage
Wheaton, Illinois

Child Support Enforcement Unit

The DuPage County State's Attorney's Office is committed to utilize every resource at its disposal to assist those parents who are struggling to raise their children without the support from the absent parent. The Child Support Enforcement Unit works to obtain financial support for their children.

For those absent parents who willfully refuse to pay support notwithstanding their ability to pay, this office seeks all appropriate sanctions, including jail sentences.

The DuPage County Child Support Enforcement Program consistently and successfully collects millions of dollars in financial support for the children each year. The Program has proven to be one of the most successful in Illinois.

Frequently Asked Question

Who is Eligible for This Program?
ALL families with children who are entitled to and in need of financial support from an absent parent are eligible for Child Support Enforcement services whether or not they receive Public Aid.

Where do I Apply?
Both Public Aid recipients and non-Public Aid recipients apply for Child Support Services by calling the Illinois Department of Healthcare and Family Services.

Is There a Fee?

While no fee is typically assessed, the fee for Child Support Enforcement Services can range from no fee to $25 maximum, depending upon the income of the custodial parent.

I Never Married the Father of the Child, Can You Help Me?
If no one has been declared the father of your child, the State's Attorney's Office may assist in establishing paternity.

I Don't Know where the Other Parent Resides, Can You Help Me?

The State's Attorney's Office and the Department of Healthcare and Family Services will use all available federal, state, and local resources in its attempt to locate an absent parent.

The Absent Parent Refuses to Pay, Can Anything Be Done?

If an absent parent is located and refuses to pay, the State's Attorney's Office can pursue certain legal remedies, including:

  • Income withholding
  • Property liens
  • Credit Bureau reports
  • Tax fund interception
  • Non-wage garnishments
  • Contempt proceedings, including jail sentences
  • Suspension of drivers license

What if There Is No Existing Support Order?
The State's Attorney's Office can take appropriate action to obtain a support order against an adjudicated father, parties who are married or separated, and parties who are divorced.

What If I Need Help With Other Issues, Such as Custody, Visitation or a Property Settlement?

A private attorney must be retained for these purposes. If you do not have an attorney, contact your local Bar Association referral service. The DuPage County Bar Association Referral Service can be reached at (630)653-9109.

What Are My Responsibilities?

  • Affirm that you are a resident of the State of Illinois and the legal custodian of the child(ren) in need of support.
  • Authorize the State's Attorney's Office to use all sources of information legally available to conduct an investigation and determine any appropriate legal action.
  • Assist by providing any information you may have which might be of use, such as a home address, phone number or known place of employment of the absent parent.
  • Provide all necessary and pertinent information and appear for interviews and court appearances as necessary.