Volunteering at DuPage County Animal Services
DuPage County Animal Services welcomes volunteers who support our mission and desire to make a contribution to the welfare of animals in our community. Volunteers at Animal Services play a crucial role in helping to care for the animals, as well as provide enrichment, training and
socialization for the animals in our care.
Volunteers commit to a weekly schedule. A six month commitment of four hours a month is required for adult volunteers. A three month commitment of four hours a month is required for children ages 10-17. Children ages 10-17 must volunteer with a parent at all times.
Animal Services is unable to accommodate groups for one-time volunteer opportunities.
The majority of volunteer opportunities available are Monday-Friday during the day time.
Interested in becoming a Animal Services Volunteer? First check the current open volunteer opportunities to see if you are available to help where needed. Second, complete a volunteer application online.
Current open volunteer opportunities: Please note, the next Volunteer Orientation will be held sometime in June 2018.
- Wednesdays p.m. (between 1:00-4:00)
- Fridays p.m. (between 1:00-4:00)
Walking/Socializing - No open positions
- Thursdays 1:00-2:00
- Thursdays 3:00-4:00
Volunteer Photographer for Cats - No open positions
Volunteer Photographer for Dogs - No open positions
Petco Cat Cage Cleaning and Cat Socializing - Wheaton location
- Cat Cage Cleaning Mondays 8:30 a.m.
- Cat socializing - various days/times, please contact Dina Schubert directly for more information 630-407-2805
Volunteer Application online if you are able to fulfill one of the above open opportunities.
Once your application has been submitted you will be contacted via email by the Volunteer Coordinator to schedule a volunteer orientation. Please note that it may take a few weeks before you are contacted about upcoming orientations. Once you have attended an orientation, you will need to
attend a hands-on training specific to your volunteer assignment. The entire process from submitting an application through being fully trained and ready to volunteer may take up to a month.
Adoption Cat Room Cleaning - No Open Position
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 11:00am
- Animal care volunteers are responsible for cleaning the adoption cat room (cleaning, feeding, grooming, and providing exercise).
Dishes and Miscellaneous Kennel Assistance - Open Position
- Monday - Saturday, mid-morning
- Volunteers assist with cleaning and sanitizing food dishes, litter pans, cages etc.
- Volunteer will help with additional kennel assistance, laundry assistance, making enrichment items for shelter animals and other assistance as requested.
Dog Walker/Socializer - No Open Positions
- Monday - Saturday
- Dog walkers assist with getting all adoption dogs outside for their morning and end of day potty breaks.
- Volunteers spend time with dogs needing additional exercise, socialization and training.
Socializer - Open Positions
- Mon. & Thurs 12:00pm - 7:00pm; Tues.,Wed., Fri. 1:00pm - 4:30pm
- Volunteer to groom and exercise adoption cats.
Pals - No Open Positions
- Wednesdays 10:00am - 11:00am
- Accompany shelter staff and adoptable pets to the DuPage County Convalescent Center to visit with residents.
Volunteers - Open Positions
- Small animal volunteers clean, socialize and exercise adoption rabbits and other small animals. Previous rabbit handling experience is highly recommended. Daytime availability is desired.
Adoption Cat Volunteers - Open Positions
Seven days a week during store hours.
The Wheaton Petco in Danada East houses DuPage County Animal Care and Control adoption cats and kittens. Volunteers clean cages, socialize cats and kittens and assist with adoptions. For more information on joining this team of volunteers please contact Dina at (630)
Pet Photographer - No Open Positions
This person will be responsible for taking digital photos of animals available for adoption for website & social media. Will need to also be able to resize/edit as needed and upload to google docs where staff can access images. Must be 18 or older. Must be responsible and able to safely handle cats, dogs, rabbits, and other small animals. Previous animal handling experience and basic knowledge of animal behavior and body language is preferred. Preference will be given to applicants with animal photography experience.
- Commitment: We ask that Photography volunteers commit to at least one 1-hour session per week for a minimum of three months.
a Volunteer Application online
We welcome youth volunteers. Individuals under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent at all times. Both the youth and the parent must fill out a volunteer application. Any youth that are volunteering for required service credit must complete three
months of volunteer service prior to service requirement deadlines. For more information about specific programs or current volunteer openings please call Dina at (630) 407-2805 or email