Volunteering at DuPage County Animal Services
DuPage County Animal Services welcomes volunteers who support our mission and desire to make a contribution to the welfare of animals in our community. Volunteers at Animal Services play a crucial role in helping to care for the animals, as well as provide enrichment, training and
socialization for the animals in our care.
Group volunteer opportunities - Animal Services is not able to accommodate groups for one-time volunteer opportunities.
The majority of volunteer opportunities are Monday-Friday between the hours of 8:00-4:30.
Interested in becoming a Animal Services Volunteer? Complete the following steps.
- Review the requirements for volunteering (listed below).
- Check the current open positions and the days/times when volunteers are needed (listed below).
- Attend an Informational Orientation Session. At the orientation you will learn more about commitment requirements, open positions and what volunteers do. To attend an Informational Orientation Session you will need sign up on-line. There are a limited number of open slots per session.
- Complete any further training that you will need prior to volunteering in your role.
- Volunteers must 18 years old to volunteer on their own.
- Children must be a minimum of 10 years old. Any children between the ages of 10-17 must volunteer with a parent or legal guardian.
- Volunteers commit to a weekly time-slot.
- Adult volunteers commit to 6 months of volunteering.
- Children between the ages of 10-17 commit to 3 months of volunteering.
- Volunteers must complete all required training prior to volunteering.
Attend an Informational Orientation Session
Information will be posted here with dates of orientations as they are scheduled.
We welcome youth volunteers. Individuals under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent at all times. Both the youth and the parent must fill out a volunteer application. Any youth that are volunteering for required service credit must complete three months of volunteer service prior to service requirement deadlines. For more information about specific programs or current volunteer openings please call Dina at (630) 407-2805 or email email@example.com
Next Steps: Attend an Informational Orientation Session. Please complete our Orientation Sign Up to reserve a spot in our informational session. There are a limited number of spaces per session and only those who have RSVP'd will be able to attend. Upcoming Informational Orientation Sessions:
- Saturday, August 24th, 10:00 a.m. - FULL
- Thursday, September 12th, 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, October 18th, 3:00 p.m.
Current open volunteer opportunities as of 7/18/19:
Please note open volunteer opportunities are continually changing. A list of open positions will be sent to attendees prior to attending the Informational Orientation session.
- Tuesdays 10 a.m.
- Wednesdays 10 a.m.
- Thursdays 10 a.m.
- Fridays 10 a.m.
- Saturdays 10 a.m.
Cleaning - No open positions
- Monday afternoons (1:00-4:00)
- Tuesday afternoons (1:00-4:00)
- Wednesday afternoons (1:00-4:00)
- Thursday afternoon (1:00-4:00)
- Thursday evenings (4:00-7:00)
- Friday afternoons (1:00-4:00)
Adoption Cat Room Cleaning - No open positions
- Mondays 2:00-3:30
- Wednesdays 3:30-4:30
- Thursdays 9:30-10:30
- Thursdays 3:30-4:30
- Fridays 10:30-11:30
- Fridays 3:30-4:30
- Saturdays 10:30-12:00
Animal Pals - No open positions
Volunteer Photographer for Cats - No open positions
Volunteer Photographer for Dogs -
Petco Cat Cage Cleaning and Cat Socializing - Wheaton location
- Cat socializing - various days/times, please contact Dina Schubert directly for more information 630-407-2805
Descriptions of Volunteer Positions
Adoption Cat Room Cleaning - Open Positions
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 11:00am
- Animal care volunteers are responsible for cleaning the adoption cat room (cleaning, feeding, grooming, and providing exercise).
Dishes and Miscellaneous Kennel Assistance - Open Positions
- Monday - Saturday, mid-morning
- Volunteers assist with cleaning and sanitizing food dishes, litter pans, cages etc.
- Volunteer will help with additional kennel assistance, laundry assistance, making enrichment items for shelter animals and other assistance as requested.
Dog Walker/Socializer - Open Positions
- Monday - Saturday
- Dog walkers assist with getting all adoption dogs outside for their morning and end of day potty breaks.
- Volunteers spend time with dogs needing additional exercise, socialization and training.
Socializer - Open Positions
- Mon. & Thurs 12:00pm - 7:00pm; Tues.,Wed., Fri. 1:00pm - 4:30pm
- Volunteer to groom and exercise adoption cats.
Pals - No Open Positions
- Wednesdays 10:00am - 11:00am
- Accompany shelter staff and adoptable pets to the DuPage County Convalescent Center to visit with residents.
Volunteers - Open Positions
- Small animal volunteers clean, socialize and exercise adoption rabbits and other small animals. Previous rabbit handling experience is highly recommended. Daytime availability is desired.
Adoption Cat Volunteers - No Open Positions
Seven days a week during store hours.
The Wheaton Petco in Danada East houses DuPage County Animal Care and Control adoption cats and kittens. Volunteers clean cages, socialize cats and kittens and assist with adoptions. For more information on joining this team of volunteers please contact Dina at (630)
Pet Photographer - Open Positions
This person will be responsible for taking digital photos of animals available for adoption for website & social media. Will need to also be able to resize/edit as needed and upload to google docs where staff can access images. Must be 18 or older. Must be responsible and able to safely handle cats, dogs, rabbits, and other small animals. Previous animal handling experience and basic knowledge of animal behavior and body language is preferred. Preference will be given to applicants with animal photography experience.
- Commitment: We ask that Photography volunteers commit to at least one 1-hour session per week for a minimum of three months.