Animal Services Legislative Activity
Senate Bill 2280 (SB2280) "Louie's Law"
SB2280 if passed, will prohibit the retail sale of animals (dogs, cats, and rabbits) in DuPage County and Will County that are obtained from commercial breeders. Louie's Law is a joint effort between Senator Michael
Connelly, DuPage County Animal Care and Control Committee Chairman Brian
Krajewski, Will County Legislative Chairwoman Suzanne
Hart, Will County State’s Attorney James Glasgow, DuPage County State’s
Attorney Robert Berlin, and representatives from the Humane Society of the
United States, The Puppy Mill Project, and the Naperville Area Humane Society
and other local animal welfare representatives. Click to view full text, updates and status of SB2280.
- Sponsor: Senator Michael Connelly
- Chief Co-Sponsor: Senator Thomas Cullerton
- Chief House Sponsor: Representative David S. Olsen
- Chief Co-Sponsor: Senator Linda Holmes
- Chief Co-Sponsor: Senator Jacqueline Y. Collins
- Co-Sponsor: Senator John F. Curran
- Co-Sponsor: Senator Cristina Castro
- Co-Sponsor: Senator Jennifer Bertino-Tarrant
Find your IL State Senator and State Representative, then call and email to encourage them to support SB2280....or better yet...to become a co-sponsor of the bill!
Click here to read Why You Should Support SB2280 as prepared by The Humane Society of the United States.
Read the DuPage County SB2280 press release.
Click here for a copy of The Problem With Commercial Breeding and Puppy Mills information packet.
Click here to view an example of a Model Humane Ordinance courtesy of HSUS.
Show your support for dogs, cats & rabbits in the "mills". Download an "I Support SB2280" sign here.
- Take a photo of you or your pet(s) with their sign
- Share your photo on social media using hashtags: #Support2280 #LouiesLaw #HumaneDuPage
- Don't forget to tag @DuPageCACC
- Post your photo on the @DuPageCACC Facebook page and you might see it appear on the page's timeline!
To learn more about why commercial breeding is bad and how to be an informed consumer, visit:
Legislators from DuPage County, Will County, HSUS, The Puppy Mill
Project, and local Animal Welfare Organizations Gather on December 22, 2017
at Naperville Area Humane Society to Introduce SB2280 "Louie's Law".
House Bill 4191 (HB4191) "Good Samaritan Law"
If passed, HB4191 would provide criminal immunity to Good Samaritans who damage a vehicle
in an effort to rescue a dog or cat that is believed to be in imminent
danger due to extreme heat or cold. The provisions would apply only if
the individual had made efforts to contact emergency responders prior to
taking action to forcibly remove the pet from the vehicle. Click to view full text, updates and status of HB4191.
HB4191 Sponsors (as of 2/1/18):
Sponsor: Representative David S. Olsen
Chief Co-Sponsor: Representative Christine Winger
Chief Co-Sponsor: Representative Sara Feigenholtz
Chief Co-Sponsor: Representative Kelly M. Cassidy
Co-Sponsor: Representative Gregory Harris