Social Activities & Special Events
Recreation Therapy uses treatment, education and leisure services to help people with illnesses, disabilities and other conditions to develop and use their leisure in ways that enhance their health, functional abilities, independence and quality of life.
Staff work to restore, remediate or rehabilitate to improve functioning and independence as well as reduce or eliminate the effects of illness or disability. The use of recreation therapy will provide resources and opportunities to improve health
A study done by the Journal of Aging examined the meanings older people attached to successful aging. Analysis confirmed six features of successful aging: a sense of purpose, interactions with others, personal growth, self-acceptance, autonomy, and health.
Recreation Therapy uses this knowledge to incorporate creative activity to contribute to successful aging by fostering a sense of competence, purpose, and growth. Purposeful involvement also facilitates successful aging by encouraging the development
of problem-solving skills, motivation, and perceptions that translate into a practical creativity in the way these individuals manage their everyday lives.
We encourage our residents to lead an active lifestyle by offering a wide variety of social and leisure opportunities both within the Center and in the community. The Recreation Department is responsible for keeping our residents busy with special events
and activities. Besides the special events that are scheduled monthly, we also have standing events including:
- January – New Year’s Day Celebration
- February - Valentine’s Parties and Valentine Balloon Delivery
- March - St. Patrick’s Day Program
- April - Easter Social and a variety of religious services
- May - National Homes for the Aging Week (begins with a special Mother’s Day Program and continues with special programs all week) Outside Horticulture Therapy Program begins
- June - Father’s Day Program
- July - Special 4th of July programs including participating in the outings to the Wheaton Parade and Fireworks in the evening
- August - DuPage Care Center County Fair
- September - DuPage County Fall Festival
- October - Halloween Activities and costume party
- November - Thanksgiving social
- December - Holiday buffet (residents, employees and volunteers) Resident and Family Holiday party
Other Programs offered by the DuPage Care Center include:
- Crafts, Weaving, Painting, Ceramics and Woodshop
- Elegant Dinners
- Family gatherings throughout the year
- Flower arranging for the residents sponsored by the Hawthorne Garden Club
- Intergenerational programs
- Red Hat Club
- Hand Bell Choir
- RezTech – IPad training program
- Resident Council
- VETSO-Veterans Group
The Center provides wheelchair accessible transportation for community outings and various other activities including meals out, shopping, bowling, sporting events, plays, concerts, casino trips, zoo trips, boat tours and hot air balloon rides. For a current schedule of monthly events, contact the Recreation Department at 630-784-4301.