Contact Information: Shefali Trivedi (630) 407-6458
Friday, April 22, 2016
Giving DuPage Hosts Fifth Annual Human Race to Raise Money, Awareness for Local Non-Profit Organizations
In support of 73 local charities, Giving DuPage will host the fifth annual "The Human Race" 5K Run & two-mile Fitness Walk at 9 a.m. April 30 at The Esplanade at Locust Point in Downers Grove.
Giving DuPage's Human Race is a community 5K fundraiser event bringing people together in support of charities serving DuPage County. Walkers and runners choose a charity to receive the donation from their race registration fee, with the option to raise additional funds for their favorite organization. In four years, the race has raised more than $255,545 for local charities and has drawn 5,277 race participants.
“Giving DuPage is incredibly proud to reach our five-year anniversary with the Human Race,” said Paul Feith, Giving DuPage Board President. “Over the years, we’ve raised funds for over 80 local nonprofits and given these organizations some wonderful exposure about their cause and programs.”
“The Human Race is a unique fundraising opportunity for local charities that serve the region,” said DuPage County Board member Bob Larsen. “Through events like this, Giving DuPage is able to not only help these wonderful organizations raise the funds they need, but it helps showcase for the generous citizens of DuPage the many volunteer opportunities that are out there."
The participating charity organizations include:
• ANAD (Nat’l Assoc of Anorexia Nervosa & Associated Disorders)
• Autism Society of Illinois
• The Awakenings Project
• Bensenville Community Foundation
• Brain Injury Association of Illinois
• Camp Fire Illinois Prairie
• CASA of DuPage
• Catholic Charities, Diocese of Joliet
• CHAD Housing
• Clare Oaks Retirement Community
• Clare Woods Academy
• Community Adult Day Center
• Community Career Center
• DayOne Pact
• Downers Grove Choral Society
• DuPage Bar Foundation
• DuPage Habitat for Humanity
• DuPage Homeownership Center
• DuPage Railroad Safety Council
• DuPage Social Services Association
• DuPage Veterans Foundation
• Ecumenical Support Service (ESSE Adult Day Services)
• Elmhurst Symphony Orchestra
• Elmhurst-Yorkfield Food Pantry
• The Fig Factor Foundation
• First Folio Theatre
• Friends for Therapeutic Equine Activities
• Friends of Cupertino Home
• Friends of DuPage County Animal Care & Control Foundation
• Friends of DuPage County Fair Inc.
• Giant Steps
• The Gathering Lighthouse
• Glen Ellyn Children’s Resource Center
• Glen Ellyn Food Pantry
• Glen Ellyn Youth & Family Counseling Service
• The Greenhouse
• Hamdard Center for Health & Human Services
• Healthy Lombard
• Hinsdale Humane Society
• HOPE Fair Housing Center
• Hope’s Front Door
• Humanitarian Service Project
• Illinois Spina Bifida Association
• Indian Boundary YMCA
• Literacy DuPage
• Little Giraffe Foundation
• Loaves & Fishes Community Services
• Lombard Historical Society
• Love Christian Clearinghouse
• Mayslake Ministries
• Naperville Area Humane Society
• Naperville Woman’s Club
• Play For All Playground & Garden Foundation
• Prairie State Legal Services
• Pro Bono Network
• Project HELP
• Red Kayak Institute
• Riverside Center for Education
• Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland & NW Indiana
• Saint Luke Lutheran Church & School
• Samaritan Interfaith Counseling Center, Inc.
• Senior Home Sharing
• Serenity House Counseling Services, Inc.
• Synapse House
• Teen Parent Connection
• TLC Camp, Inc.
• United Way – West Suburban Regional Office
• Variety the Children’s Charity of Illinois
• Wayne/Winfield Area Youth/Family Services (WAYS)
• West Suburban Community Pantry
• World Relief DuPage/Aurora
• Yog Sadhan Ashram
“We are proud to be the presenting sponsor of this event,” said Beth Tze, CEO of AMITA Health Medical Group. “Our physicians are committed to serving the health and wellness needs of our communities. We recognize and value the contributions of the organizations that are part of Giving DuPage and are honored to stand with them.”
Register for the race at www.dupagehumanrace.org. The first 1,600 registered participants will receive a free race t-shirt. Registration is $40 per walker and $45 per runner. Registration is available on race day, April 30. Children under 13 are free. Pets, strollers, wheel-chaired participants and baby joggers are welcome in the Fitness Walk.
Giving DuPage is a non-profit organization that promotes giving and volunteerism throughout DuPage County. In addition to the "The Human Race," Giving DuPage hosts Volapalooza, a countywide volunteer recognition event in late October.
For more information about the Human Race, visit www.dupagehumanrace.org.
For more information about Giving DuPage or if you are interested in volunteering at the event, visit www.givingdupage.org or call (630) 407-6458.