Contact Information: Joan Olson (630) 407-6015
Thursday, September 1, 2016
DuPage County Election Commission Seeks Election Judges
The DuPage Election Commission is recruiting judges to work the General Election on Nov. 8. Election judges are responsible for the conduct of the election at precinct polling places on Election Day. Qualified individuals are required to report to the polling place by 5:15 a.m. and should be prepared to remain at the polling place up until two hours after the polls close at 7 p.m. They should also be available the night before for set up.
Illinois statute outlines a list of qualifications for those wishing to serve as election judges. Applicants must:
• Be a citizen of the United States;
• Be a registered voter in DuPage County;
• Be of good repute and character;
• Be able to speak, read and write the English language;
• Be skilled in the four fundamental rules of arithmetic (addition, subtraction, division and multiplication);
• Not be a candidate for any office at the election; and
• Not be an elected committeeman.
Illinois statutes also require bipartisan representation in the polling place so a judge must declare the political party he or she wishes to represent. Attendance at a training seminar is required prior to Election Day (approximately three hours including a test) and judges are paid based on the level of training received.
For additional information, visit the Election Commission’s website at www.dupageco.org/election.