Contact Information: Don Bolger (630) 221-7374
Sunday, March 15, 2020
DuPage County Resident Tests Positive for Coronavirus Disease
On Saturday, March 14, 2020, the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) and Governor JB Pritzker announced that a resident of DuPage County has tested positive at the IDPH Laboratory for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The resident is a female in her 60s and is in stable condition. State and local public health officials have started a contact investigation to understand what contacts the individual had prior to the diagnosis.
“Our staff is working to quickly identify, interview and learn the risk for people who may have been in close contact with the first COVID-19 case in DuPage County,” said Karen Ayala, Executive Director, DuPage County Health Department. “Our highest priority is the health and safety of all who live, work and play in DuPage County, and we will continue to use every available resource to prepare our communities for additional cases of COVID-19.”
On March 10, 2020, the World Health Organization declared COVID-19 as a pandemic and more cases of COVID-19 are expected in the United States and DuPage County. All residents should take measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19.
It’s important to follow simple daily steps to stop the spread of illness:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others:
- Stay home
- Avoid unnecessary social gatherings, follow national guidelines for social distancing.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Frequently clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces.
DuPage County residents with questions or concerns are encouraged to visit the DCHD Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Information page, or call the DCHD COVID-19 Hotline (630) 221-7030. For general questions about COVID-19, call the Illinois Department of Public Health COVID-19 Hotline 1-800-889-3931, or email: email@example.com.