skip to main content
The County of DuPage
Wheaton, Illinois

Obtaining a Civil Union License

When to Apply:

A civil union license is issued immediately and becomes effective 24 hours later. The license is valid 60 days. A license issued in DuPage County CANNOT be used in any other County and State.

How to Apply:

Both partners MUST appear at the DuPage County Clerk's office (421 N. County Farm Road, Wheaton, IL 60187) and present proof of age and proper identification and a license fee of $35.00.

The fee of $35.00 can be paid in cash, check or by credit card for a $1.00 fee.

Required ID:

Identification and proof of age are required of all persons. Any of the following documents will be accepted:

  • A valid U.S. driver's license.
  • A valid U.S. state identification card.
  • A valid U.S. passport.
  • A valid U.S. military identification card.

If you do not have any of the above forms of identification, then you must present TWO (2) of the following pieces of identification:

  • A certified copy of a birth certificate.
  • A baptismal record (the date of birth of the applicant must appear on this record).
  • A valid foreign passport.
  • U.S. naturalization papers.
  • A valid U.S. resident alien card.
  • A life insurance policy, which has been in effect for one (1) year (the applicant's date of birth must appear on the document).
  • All consulate identification cards. Affidavits are not acceptable.


Both partners must be 18 years of age in order to obtain a license.

Individuals who reside outside of the State of Illinois will be required to sign an affidavit that the state they reside in does not prohibit a civil union.

Previous Marriage or Civil Union:

We must know how a previous marriage or civil union ended, including the month, date and year, county and state in which it ended. If a prior marriage or civil union has ended within six (6) months, you must provide a certified copy (a photocopy is not sufficient) of the death record, dissolution or annulment decree.

Persons Prohibited from Civil Unions:

Anyone under the age of 18 years of age.

Anyone whose previous marriage or civil union is not dissolved.

An ancestor and a descendent or between siblings whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood or by adoption; an aunt or uncle and a niece or nephew, whether the relationship is by the half or the whole blood, or by adoption; or between first cousins.

A person who resides and intends to continue to reside in another state where that person is prohibited from entering into a civil union or substantially similar legal relationship by the laws of the jurisdiction where he or she resides.