Special Road and Trail Event Application Procedures
If your not-for-profit group wants to hold an event (such as a run/walk/bicycling fundraiser or school/scouting event/project) on the DuPage County highway and/or trail system and/or use the Rugaard Gazebo in Villa Park, you will need a Highway Permit for a special event from the Division of Transportation.
Items to be provided include:
- A completed 'Application for Highway Permit' (found under the Forms section of the
Highway Permitting - Forms webpage) providing all information required.
- A non-refundable application processing fee of $50.00 per event. (Payment type information is found under the
Highway Permitting - Fees Payment Information.)
- Provide a cover letter for your event stating event start/end times, set-up time needed (prior to and/or after event to remove items), proposed detour signage plan (if applicable) and event informational signage language.
- Provide a copy of the event map with the requested County highway and/or trail route noted.
- Provide a copy of your event flyer (with date/time/location of your event).
- Provide a copy of your event participation waiver. If the waiver is applicable to your event, you will be required to include the "County of DuPage, its agents and/or employees" to be held harmless for any injury and/or damage to myself, other persons and/or private property due to the participants involvement with/in the event.
- The permit applicant is required to provide insurance covering the "County of DuPage c/o the Division of Transportation" as described in the Highway Permitting Insurance Requirements (found under the Forms section of the
Highway Permitting - Forms webpage.
If you have any questions regarding the process; contact the Highway Permitting Department at (630) 407-6900 (Monday - Friday 8 am - 4:30 pm, excluding holidays) or e-mail at:
In addition, the following may be required depending on the scope of your event and/or the location requested, as are applicable:
A permit is required for use of the Rugaard Gazebo (Illinois Prairie Path- Main Stem at Ardmore Avenue, Villa Park) by the Villa Park- Parks & Recreation Dept. Contact them directly at (630) 834-8525 or their website at:
Villa Park - Parks & Recreation to verify their permitting procedures/fees for such use.
You will be required to obtain permission from the local municipalities that your event will be held in along with coordination with local law enforcement and/or the DuPage County Sheriff's Department for impacts to or use of their respective right-of-ways.
Additionally, general trail permitting requirements include, but are not limited to:
- Racing is NOT permitted on the trail system,
- The permittee is required to pick up their event generated debris (including any warning/informational signage); and
- No equipment and/or materials shall interfere with the movement of pedestrians or bicyclists on the Path/Trail riding surface.
Some various types of events held on the County's highway and/or trail system...