Rules of the Trail
- Share the trail with pedestrians, bicyclists, horseback riders, and other users.
- No motorized vehicles are allowed on the system.
- All users should keep right on the trail. Riders should travel single file and passing should occur on the left.
- Users should announce their intention to pass.
- Move off the trail when stopped.
- No alcoholic beverages or controlled substances are allowed on the system.
- All animals should be kept leashed and owners should clean up after them.
- Always wear a helmet when bicycling.
- Leave no trace -- please dispose of any garbage in receptacles located throughout the trail.
Adopted from Safe Bicycling in Illinois, a booklet published by the Illinois Department of Transportation.
For more information, or to order a Safe Bicycling in Illinois booklet, contact:
Illinois Department of Transportation, Division of Traffic Safety
3215 Executive Park Drive
P.O. Box 19245 Springfield, IL 62794-9245
Note that trails within the Forest Preserve District of DuPage County preserves have hours of operation that are monitored by the Forest Preserve District police. Preserves and trails are open to the public from one hour after sunrise to one hour after sunset, unless different hours are posted. For further information regarding trails within Forest Preserves, contact the District at: 630/933-7200.
Bike Safety Quiz
How well do you know the rules of the road? The League of Illinois Bicyclists has developed an on-line educational quiz where you can learn about relevant laws and skills - for adult bicyclists, young cyclists, and motorists. Click on the link below to test your knowledge today.