Stormwater Management Certification Application Process
The Stormwater Management Certification application process can be complex, depending on the development plans proposed. The following steps outline the application process.
- Determine the waiver status for the subject property.
- Contact the waiver community to obtain information about their Stormwater Management Certification application process.
- Schedule a pre-application meeting with DuPage County Stormwater Management staff.
- Prepare the Stormwater Management Certification application submittal.
- Schedule an intake meeting.
- DuPage County Stormwater Management review.
- Pick up Stormwater Management Certification/Authorization letter.
- Meet post-construction requirements.
Determine the community waiver
status for the subject property.
Community Waiver Status
Each community determines how it reviews and processes Stormwater Management Certification applications. The extent with which DuPage County Stormwater Management reviews the application depends on the waiver status of the municipality. It is important
to contact your municipality to determine the waiver status and preference for processing Stormwater Management Certification applications.
The three types of community waiver status (find your community's waiver status) are:
- Non-Waiver (including Unincorporated DuPage County)
- Partial Waiver
- Complete Waiver
Applicants for developments in unincorporated areas of DuPage County may apply for a Stormwater Management Certification directly through the DuPage County Building and Zoning Department. Call 630-407-6700 for more information.
Schedule a pre-application meeting
with DuPage County Stormwater Management staff.
A pre-application meeting is not required, but it is highly recommended. The purpose of the pre-application meeting is to give the applicant an opportunity to meet directly with the assigned permit coordinator to help determine which special management
issues or stormwater issues will need to be addressed in their stormwater application. In addition to the applicant and the permit coordinator, meeting attendees may include a wetland specialist, the local municipal engineer, consultants, contractors
and additional property owners. Please call 630-407-6673 to set up the appointment.
Prepare the Stormwater Management
Certification Application submittal.
The following items need to be included in the Stormwater Certification Application submittal:
Management Certification Application
DuPage County Stormwater
Management Certification Application
For developments in non-waiver communities, partial waiver communities, and full waiver communities that impact flood plain/floodway, wetlands, or buffers, please obtain a community number from your waiver community to ensure proper tracking
of your stormwater application. Developments in unincorporated DuPage County do not require a community number.
For each Stormwater Management Certification Application, a $265 application fee is assessed.
Additional Stormwater Fees
Stormwater application and review fees may be paid online at:
Report (3 copies*)
Submittal requirements are detailed in the Ordinance, Article V. For ease of review, it is highly recommended that submittals be provided in a bound, tabular format, as follows:
- Tab 1 – Project Overview
- Tab 2A/2B – Site Runoff Storage
- Tab 3A/3B – Flood Plain/Floodway
- Tab 4 – Wetlands/Wetland Buffer
- Tab 5 – Waterway Buffer
- Tab 6 – PCBMP
- Tab 7 – Soil Erosion and Sediment Control
- Tab 8 – Maps
- Tab 9 – Maintenance and Monitoring
- Tab 10 – Security
- Tab 11 - Variance
*Please note that for developments affecting floodways in non-waiver and partial waiver communities, an additional copy of the submittal may be required.
To ensure that all aspects of the Ordinance are addressed in the application, it is also recommended that the applicant include flow charts with their submittal:
Schedule an Intake Meeting.
Intake meetings are required so that the applicant can meet directly with the Project Coordinator when submitting the application. The application will be checked for completeness. The stormwater application fee and estimated review fee are paid at
this time. Please call 630-407-6673 to schedule your meeting. Please note that a properly completed DuPage County
Stormwater Management Certification application must be emailed to email@example.com
before an intake meeting can be confirmed.
6. DuPage County Stormwater Management review.
Once the submittal has been received by DCSM, the review process begins. The review is broken into three components:
- Wetland Review
- Engineering Review
- Soil Erosion and Sediment Control and Grading/Drainage Review (for non-waiver communities only)
The target length of review times are as follows. The actual time to review a submittal may vary depending on staff workload.
- Standard Submittal/Resubmittal: 20 working days
- Submittal requiring FEQ analysis: 40 working days
- Additional information submittal: 10 working days
If the submittal does not pass the stormwater review, a letter to the applicant is issued with review comments and instructions for the resubmittal procedure. Rejected copies of the stormwater submittal will be available for pickup.
Request for Additional Information
In some cases, if the submittal is rejected, but the review comments are relatively minor, DuPage County is willing to accept additional information to address the comments without a formal rejection letter. The applicant will be contacted by DuPage County
via email with the review comments and instructions to coordinate a swap-out with the revised information. The target review time after submitting additional information is 10 working days.
Stormwater Review Meeting
If an applicant would like further clarification of the review comments, a stormwater review meeting may be requested to meet with the project coordinator and reviewers to address review comments and discuss possible solutions. Please contact 630-407-6673 to set up an appointment.
After the review comments have been addressed, the applicant may resubmit the stormwater packet for another review. A resubmittal meeting must be scheduled with the project coordinator in order to check for completeness and to verify that the previous
review comments have been addressed. Additional review fees are paid at this time. Please contact 630-407-6673 to set up an appointment for the resubmittal meeting.
7. Pick up Stormwater Management Certification/Authorization letter.
Upon Certification/Authorization of the application, the applicant will be contacted by DCSM to pick up the Certification/Authorization letter and certified/authorized copies of the application and submittals. Any outstanding fees are paid at this time.
A Stormwater Certification is not a permit. The permit is issued by the waiver community after Stormwater Certification has been issued and all permit requirements have been met.
Full and Partial Waiver Communities – For developments in these communities, the applicant must pick up the Stormwater Authorization letter and authorized submittals to bring back to their respective communities for Stormwater Certification
Non-Waiver Communities – For developments in these communities, the applicant must pick up the Stormwater Certification letter and certified submittals to bring back to their respective communities for permitting. Depending on the agreement
DCSM has with the non-waiver community, the performance security and/or BMP fee-in-lieu may be collected by DuPage County Stormwater Management.
Unincorporated DuPage County – For developments in unincorporated areas of DuPage County, the Building and Zoning Department will issue the permit after DuPage County Stormwater Management has released the Stormwater Certification Letter
and certified copies of the submittals.
Final paperwork such as the temporary easement and informational note to title are required at this time. Sample forms are available for download:
The performance security must be paid at this time. Please forward a copy of all Irrevocable Letters of Credit to Alicia Favela (630-407-6698 / firstname.lastname@example.org). The following forms are available for download:
8. Meet post-construction requirements.
Upon completion of construction, the following Stormwater Management Certification requirements must be met:
- As-Built Plans – Per Section 15-47.B, as-built plans may be required by the waiver community. The applicant must coordinate with the waiver community for as-built approval.
- For developments in unincorporated DuPage County, please submit as-built plans to the Building Division for review and site inspection. For more information, please call 630-407-6700.
- Monitoring and Maintenance Reports – Per Section 15-88.O, for developments requiring natural plantings, the Certification holder shall provide annual monitoring reports documenting progress towards meeting the approved performance standards.
- Upon inspection, if the performance standards are met during or at the end of the monitoring period, DCSM or the administrator in a complete waiver community may issue regulatory signoff and release the natural area planting portion of the performance
- Release of Performance Security – Performance securities may be released according to the provisions of Section 15-54. The applicant may contact the waiver community for their procedures.
- For developments in unincorporated DuPage County, please coordinate with Lori Edwards/Principal Environmental Technician 630-407-6726 for the release of performance securities.