Construction Site Stormwater Runoff Control
The NPDES permit requires DuPage County to develop, implement and enforce a program to reduce pollutants in any stormwater
runoff to the municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4) from construction activities that result in a land disturbance of greater than or equal to one acre. Control of storm water discharges from construction activities disturbing less than one
acre must be included in the program if that construction activity is part of a larger common plan of development or sale that would disturb one acre or more or has been designated by the permitting authority. The program must include the development
and implementation of, at a minimum:
- An ordinance or other regulatory mechanism to require erosion and sediment controls, as well as sanctions to ensure compliance, to the extent allowable under state or local law;
- Requirements for construction site operators to implement appropriate erosion and sediment control best management practices, including green infrastructure storm water management techniques where appropriate and practicable;
- Requirements for construction site operators to control waste such as discarded building materials, concrete truck washout, chemicals, litter, and sanitary waste at the construction site that may cause adverse impacts to water quality;
- Require all regulated construction sites to have a storm water pollution prevention plan that meets the requirements of Part IV of NPDES Permit No. ILR10 including management practices, controls, and other previsions at least as protective as the
requirements contained in the Illinois Urban Manual, 2002, or as amended including green infrastructure techniques where appropriate and practicable;
- Procedures for site plan review which incorporate consideration of potential water quality impacts and review of individual pre-construction site plans to ensure consistency with local sediment and erosion control requirements;
- Procedures for receipt and consideration of information submitted by the public; and
- Procedures for site inspections and enforcement of control measures.
DuPage County has designed a comprehensive program to address each of these seven measures. The DuPage County Countywide Stormwater and Flood Plain Ordinance and Building Code, through Sec. 15-117 and Sec. 8-128.2, respectively, address these requirements. For development projects within DuPage County, erosion and sediment control features
shall be considered as part of any development's initial site planning process. All developments, whether a permit is required or not, shall incorporate stormwater management measures that control and manage runoff from such developments. The stormwater submittal packet for projects requiring a permit outlines this information.
DuPage County is subject to these construction site storm water runoff control requirements
for construction site activities for municipal construction projects disturbing one acre or more. To learn more about these County projects, please click here.