Green Initiatives - DuPage County Latex Paint Program
The Latex Paint Recycling program has ended for the season. Check back in April 2018 for details on next year's program.
Free Recycled Latex Paint still available while supplies last.
DuPage Woodridge Greene Valley Treatment Plant; 7900 S. Route 53, Woodridge, IL; Mon. - Fri.; 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Other Recycling Locations
Several local Ace Hardware stores have partnered with
Epaint to provide collection of latex and oil-based paints for a fee. Visit the
Epaint website for more information and pricing.
EarthPaint also accepts latex paint for a fee, visit their website for full details.
Management of Latex Paint
Below are some helpful reuse and recycling tips to better manage use of latex paint, or watch this
SCARCE video on tips for proper disposal.
- When painting a room, buy the necessary amount needed for the project - look beyond what is on sale.
- Save left over paint in a glass jar that leaves almost no air space, and keep the paint for touch ups.
- Then, label the jar for which room the paint was used, or keep in the room itself, to ensure the correct paint will be used in the same room.
- Do not store paint in the garage. Once frozen, it is not reusable.
- Left over unusable latex paint should be consolidated into one container and dried with cat litter, sawdust or another absorbent material (ie. oil absorbent).
- Once the paint is completely dry, it can be put out with regular garbage curbside pickup. Be sure to remove the lid on the paint can, so the waste company driver can see that the paint is dry. Some waste companies will not take the dried paint, unless the lid is off.
Management of Oil Based Paint, Paint Thinners, Stain and Varnish Finishes
Illinois residents may drop off unwanted, oil-based paint at the Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility, located in Naperville. This is a drive through, free drop-off facility open to everyone every Saturday & Sunday from 9 a.m. - 2 p.m. (excluding Holidays). For more information and
a complete list of all accepted hazardous materials, visit
the Naperville facility's website or call 630-420-6095 during weekdays. The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Facility is funded by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency, DuPage County and neighboring government agencies.