Jeanine Nicarico Children's Advocacy and Neutral Exchange Center Resilient Construction and Solar Response
Resilient Construction Design Techniques
- Steel and masonry exterior structure and cladding.
- Super-insulation doubles the minimum code requirements.
- Window to wall ratio is kept below 1:3 to ensure majority of walls are super-insulated.
- Windows are high performance double glazed, low-e, with high visibility and low energy loss.
- Windows are designed to open automatically when outdoor temperatures and humidity levels are optimum.
Solar Responsive Design Techniques
- Windows minimize summer sun penetration, while maximizing winter sun penetration.
- Windows on south walls are optimally sized to allow generous amounts of sun to warm the stone tile floors to supplement heating and reduce energy costs.
- Windows throughout the entire building are optimally placed and arranged to maximize daylight harvesting.
Image by: Serena Sturm Architects, Ltd.