FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under direction, performs work of considerable difficulty in support of DuPage County’s voice telecommunications infrastructure for all County locations; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
This position is responsible for implementing, troubleshooting, and providing voice telecommunications solutions at the DuPage County Campus and remote locations. Position interacts with County elected officials and County staff, responding to technical and informational work order requests. This position ensures smooth operation of the voice communication core operating system and application servers, providing maximum performance and availability to end users. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Telecommunications Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Provides end user service and support on voice communication end points and applications
• Monitor and maintain VOIP core operating system and adjunct applications, including call reporting, unified messaging and voicemail
• SIP and ISDN PRI service management and fault isolation
• Utilizes vendor portals for the management and maintenance of voice services
• Oversee Telecommunication vendor installation, repair and upgrade activity
• Handles inventory and replacement of telecommunication equipment
• Coordinate end user training of system features and functionality
• Ensures telecommunication equipment is set up in accordance to the requirements (e.g. policies and bi-laws) of each department
• Update the 911 database as required ensuring accuracy
• Provides backup support for cellular telecom requests as needed
• Participates in a 24/7 on-call rotation
• Coordinate Telecommunication low voltage wiring installations as required
• Identifies major system faults and resolves minor system faults to minimize service outages
• Accountable for wireline telecommunications inventories, audits and break- fix requests
• Participates in wireline telecommunications special projects and meetings
• Maintains accurate wireline databases as required
• Utilizes IT ticket system to fulfill and track customer requests for County Telecom services
• Enhances knowledge of existing and emerging technologies
• Follows strict privacy regulations with Telecom information.
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• LEC and CLEC Installation/repair procedures
• In-Building Low Voltage Wiring
• IDF and MDF Cross Connect field(s)
• E911 Service
• Data Communications LAN / WAN
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Organization of documentation
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of an Associate’s degree in Applied Science or related field and five (5) years of experience in a customer facing telecom support role, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS