Job Details for 1542 - Senior Mail & Supply Clerk
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of routine difficulty in receiving, recording, storing, issuing and delivering supplies, mail, printed materials and equipment within fixed route deadlines; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Employees in this class perform both manual and clerical duties related to the collecting, receiving, unloading, control and distribution of mail, supplies, used furniture/equipment. This position is distinguished from the Mail and Supply Clerk due to a higher level of skill necessary to perform the clerical duties of the position. General supervision is received from the Supervisor of Mail and Supply Services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Processes County mail (e.g. certified, regular) under control
• Sorts, distributes, and picks up interoffice and first class mail at each internal and external sort location
• Accepts and controls deliveries and obtains acceptance signature for all controlled items as required
• Affixes postage to all outgoing mail
• Explains the use of office supply manual and procedures for completing supply requisitions to departments
• Calculates expense charges and allocates by individual department
• Provides 24-hour delivery fulfillment on all copier paper, printed forms and stocked supply items requested
• Unloads deliveries from trucks
• Operates equipment (e.g. van, pallet lift, and fork lift truck)
• Assists with the collection, storage and distribution of surplus furniture and equipment
• Act as a lead worker
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• U.S. Postal regulations, in addition to bulk and first class mailing requirements
• Warehousing/stockroom procedures and inventory control practices
• Computer keyboard entry and function commands
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Analyzing and making decisions in accordance with department policies and procedures
• Interacting courteously and tactfully with officials, co-workers and the general public
• Keeping accurate stock records and completing required reports
• Utilizing proper lifting techniques and in operating manual and motorized warehouse equipment
• Interpreting, understanding and responding to service requests
• Maintaining fixed schedules
• Stocking and storage of inventory
• Delivery of mail and packages
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent and two years of experience in warehousing, mailroom, a related service based environment; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Use of arm and /or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than for light work. The employee is frequently required to operate motorized equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes working near moving mechanical parts in extreme outside weather conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must possess and maintain in good standing a valid Illinois driver’s license.