FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
UNION: Local 150
Under immediate supervision; performs work of considerable difficulty in the diagnosis, maintenance and repair of specialized equipment failures in the Public Works Facilities and construction and excavation projects; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs tasks in the maintenance and repair of water and sewer mains, lift stations, wastewater treatment plant maintenance and stormwater facility maintenance. Immediate supervision is received from higher level staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Maintains, installs, troubleshoots, rebuilds, and repairs and replaces varies Public Works Facilities equipment (e.g. softeners, plumbing fixtures, small motors and pumps, etc.)
• Orders parts, and fills material requests.
• Provides water or sewer services to the public
• Flushes, televises, and repairs sewer systems
• Repairs water mains and lift stations and responds to emergency water breaks, sewer back-ups, lift stations problems, hydrant leaks, and flooding.
• Installs new water lines in wellhouses and water systems.
• Connects pump wells.
• Performs landscaping and site maintenance once excavation is complete.
• Flushes fire hydrants.
• Evaluates and quotes proposals to insure quality and cost effectiveness.
• Insures jobs are completed in a cautious, safe and orderly manner.
• Operates heavy equipment (e.g. dump trucks, skid loaders, front end loaders, tankers, etc.)
• Maintains and repairs the Public Works facilities and assists with their construction and excavation projects.
• Supervises summer help on valve turning and at hydrant locations.
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• A variety of tasks, tools, machinery and materials used in maintenance and repair work
• Occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions applicable
• Performing maintenance tasks in plumbing and pipefitting, and construction and repair
• Operating varies tools and equipment
• Following verbal and written instructions
• Effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors, and the public
• Use sound judgment in carrying out the duties of the job
• Troubleshoot and resolve mechanical issues
• Respond to emergency call outs and take corrective action
Supervises seasonal employees.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED equivalent, three (3) years of specialized experience in preventative and corrective maintenance, wastewater and water collection distribution systems and treatment plant knowledge, equipment maintenance, and one year of lead worker responsibilities; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and/or arms to operate tools and equipment, climb, crouch or stoop, and lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes working near moving mechanical parts, in precarious places, in outside weather conditions, and with fumes or airborne particles.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS (DEPENDING UPON ASSIGNMENT)