Job Details for 4125 - Head Nurse
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under direction; performs work of considerable difficulty in supervising professional and sub-professional nursing personnel on a unit, and performs professional nursing services in the care and treatment of residents; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
The Head Nurse spends a substantial amount of time supervising, scheduling and directing the work of subordinate professional and sub-professional nursing personnel on a ward. The work of this class involves responsibility for giving professional nursing treatment and care to residents, according to established rules, regulations and standard practices of the profession. Special instructions are received from medical and nursing superiors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Plans, outlines and supervises the work of personnel on a unit, personally advising and assisting with the more difficult situations encountered
• Recommends hires and promotions, directs and evaluates employment decisions for all assigned positions
• Ensures orderliness and cleanliness of unit and proper care and maintenance of equipment
• Makes resident rounds, and checks and carries out physician's orders
• Administers and records all oral, intramuscular and other medications
• Makes, records, and discusses resident's progress with doctors
• Assists residents in preparation for examination, diagnosis and treatment by attending physician
• Assists physicians in treatment as required
• Supports attending physicians with patient rounds
• Facilitates physician's instructions by demonstrating and explaining to residents the therapies, medication, treatments and procedures prescribed
• Maintains appropriate resident documentation and files (e.g. charts, progress reports, etc.)
• Demonstrates routine procedures to new nursing personnel
• Maintains required unit and shift documentation and reports.
• Plans nursing care plan for residents, including establishing and maintaining short and long term goals
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality.
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Principles, standards and methods of professional nursing
• Modern nursing methods
• The dangers inherent in and the precautions to be taken in the use of narcotics and other medications
• Supervisory and training principles and practices as it relates to best nursing practices
• The latest developments in the field of Nursing
• Resident assessment process and development of individualized care plans
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes and/or status
• Maintaining accurate records
• Performing general duty nursing tasks
• Planning and supervising the work of lower level nursing personnel
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations, and services applicable to the assigned office
• Planning, scheduling and supervising the work of others
• Plan, schedule and direct the work of others
• Train lower level nursing personnel
• Prioritize and assign work
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, residents, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Communicate effectively both in written and/or verbal form
• Read, analyze and interpret appropriate health care and medical information
Responsible for managing a staff of professional and non-professional nursing staff. Provides direction, guidance and supervision to employees on assigned nursing unit. Also serves as nursing supervisor on weekends in rotation with other unit managers.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of coursework for a degree in Nursing from an accredited college or university, and three years experience as a practicing nurse; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Heavy work involves reaching, pushing and/or pulling with hands and/or arms to provide personal care. Use fingers and both hands for fine motor control. Standing, crouching and/or stooping.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes working with residents and attending to their daily needs. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to quiet.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
This position requires possession of an Illinois Registered Nurse Certificate.
For positions located at the DuPage Convalescent Center see attached for job description addendum related to HIPAA Regulations