Job Details for 4210 - Housekeeper I
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under immediate supervision; performs work of routine difficulty providing cleaning services for assigned DuPage County buildings; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs routine custodial work involving responsibility for keeping quarters clean and in order at all times. Work involves the efficient use of proper methods, materials and equipment in cleaning, and otherwise attending to the neatness and sanitation of building and equipment. Work is performed under the immediate supervision of the Housekeeping Supervisor or the Environmental Service Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Mops, by hand, hard floors (ceramic tile, vinyl tile, concrete, wood); fills and empties mop buckets with water and cleaning chemicals
• Maneuvers wheeled cleaning cart with mop and bucket, cleaning supplies (chemical, rags, towels), and trash bags throughout the buildings
• Vacuums carpeted floors
• Removes bags containing refuse and/or recycling from trashcans, recycling bins and cleaning carts, throughout the campus
• Places bags of refuse and/or recycling into wheeled carts for further processing
• Maneuvers wheeled carts containing bags of refuse and/or recycling to dumpster or compactor unloads bags of refuse and/or recycling into dumpster or compactor for further processing
• Cleans and dusts, by hand, various fixtures and pieces; moves stock, such as boxes of toilet paper or paper towels, from shipping pallets to storage room; replenishes supplies of paper towels, toilet paper, and soap in restrooms
• Replenishes supplies of paper towels and soap near sinks, in areas such as break-rooms or lunchrooms
• Replenishes stock of paper towels, toilet paper, hand soap and cleaning supplies on cleaning cart; changes light bulbs (standard, fluorescent, spot and flood) utilizing an extension pole, stepstool or ladder
• Moves carts of chairs, loads/ unloads carts of chairs and arranges chairs to set up and break down meeting rooms
• Assists with moving tables to set up and break down meeting rooms
• Convalescent Center staff interacts with residents
• Makes beds, changes linens, cleans under beds
• Empties dirty utility and linen carts
• Keeps linen and utility areas clean and in order
• Supervise resident smoking
• Assists with moving residents
• Assists with serving trays
• Operates a trash compactor
• Exterior snow removal using a shovel
• Reports maintenance related items to supervisor
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties and required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Cleaning materials, supplies, and equipment
• How to safely and effectively use cleaning chemicals and supplies
• Health care sanitation, disinfection, hygiene, and bed making procedures
• Inspecting completed work
• Maintaining and replenishing supplies
• Verbal and/or written communications
• Dealing with others in a courteous and helpful manner
• Work with minimal supervision
• Follow directions and work as a team player
• Operate tools and equipment listed
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
A High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED); or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, squat, kneel, climb ladders and stairs, use hands to push, pull and operate cleaning tools and equipment, reach with hands and/or arms overhead and horizontally, uses hands for repetitive tasks, crouch or stoop, and lift and move a minimum of 50 lbs.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes tasks that occur indoors in a temperature controlled environment, on surfaces such as ceramic tile, vinyl tile, concrete wood or commercial carpeting. Employees may occasionally perform functions outdoors on concrete, asphalt, grass, or gravel. The employee may have to function on potentially unstable structures (ladders and / or step stools) on uneven surfaces (outdoors on concrete, asphalt, grass or gravel) and on surfaces of varying heights such as stairs, steps, ladders or stepstools. Tasks may require personal protective equipment including latex or vinyl gloves and safety glasses.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS