Job Details for 4221 - Laundry Attendant I
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under immediate supervision; performs work of routine difficulty in cleaning linen and laundry for the DuPage County Convalescent Center; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class performs routine manual work to ensure that the prescribed amount of linens and clothing are provided to Convalescent Center residents. Work is performed according to predetermined deadlines while adhering to necessary sanitation and safety procedures. Immediate supervision is received from the Laundry Attendant III and Environmental Services Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Sorts and shakes out laundry after it has been removed from washers
• Loads and unloads dryers with appropriate mix of heavy/light linens
• Sets time cycle according to type and size of load in dryer
• Detects problems, errors and deficiencies requiring re-wash and rag out
• Removes personal clothing at set time to minimize wrinkling and hangs on hangers
• Folds clothing and linen in prescribed manner
• Presses items needing ironing
• Mends linen
• Prepares and packages personal wearing apparel for delivery
• Loads carts with proper quantity of linen and delivers to floors
• Removes lint from dryers
• Cleans equipment
• Marks all new linen and personal clothing
• Counts and sorts incoming laundry and counts and checks out finished laundry
• Counts and records linen returned on exchange carts
• Maintains accurate records on daily linen carts, and outside service and resident clothing
• Assists in quarterly linen inventory
• Detects and reports equipment alarms
• Informs supervisor of any accidents, incidents, hazardous situations or equipment breakdowns
• Attends in-service programs
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Standard commercial laundry processes and equipment
• The care and operation of laundry machines, materials, and chemicals
• Safety precautions required in laundry operations
• Current office practices, procedures, and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Understanding and following verbal and written instructions
• Detecting problems with quality of laundry product
• Using computer hardware and software including work processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations, and services of office to which assigned
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Heavy Work: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands and/or arms to operate equipment and load/unload machines, push and pull linen carts and lift up to 50 lbs. on a daily basis.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work will occur in a field environment. The work environment for this position regularly includes working near moving mechanical parts, with strong odors and airborne particles, and under conditions of high humidity.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS