Job Details for 4360 - Medical Records Clerk
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of moderate difficulty in reviewing, compiling and releasing medical information and charts; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Work involves classification of medical information, file maintenance and clerical support. Work performed is more detail oriented than complex. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Medical Records Coordinator.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Audits medical charts for accuracy and completeness; abstracts statistical information
• Classifies diagnoses using the International Classification of Diseases reference manual
• Enters codes into computer terminal
• Updates and maintains medical files
• Retrieves records for authorized requesters, as needed
• Compiles and computes census data
• Performs Release of Information tasks
• Performs clerical support functions as required
• Files documents alphabetically, numerically, or by other prescribed methods
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within the job classification
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Medical records principles and practices
• Coding, basic math and statistical documentation
• Medical terminology
• Verbal and/or written communications
• Dealing effectively with others
• The operation of related office equipment
• Use of Microsoft Word and Excel
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Multi-task responsibilities and set priorities
• Work with minimal supervision
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent and two years of experience in medical records; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects. Work involves sitting, stating, and the ability to move throughout the office to perform duties and interact with the public.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office environment and customer service setting with a moderate noise level.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS