Job Details for 5115 - GIS Technician
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under general supervision this position class performs the task of maintaining and implementing the County’s Geographic Information System (GIS) data. This person works with the Geographic Information System division and county staff in the creation and maintenance of Geo-Spatial data; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class develops, maintains and manipulates Geo-Spatial databases along with other datasets to generate tabular and cartographic output. This data is for public and internal county use. This output can be in the form of plotted maps, reports or maps and information viewed within a Geographic Information System mapping web service. Incumbent works independently under the general supervision of a Geographic Information System Manager or Geographic Information System Division lead.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Interprets aerial photography, subdivision plots, land records, and engineering drawings;
analyzes survey data, source maps, and other records
• Develops geo-spatial datasets utilizing accurate survey controls, source data and documentation and Geographic Information System software to fulfill geo-spatial data and mapping requests
• Corrects geographic data topology errors and omissions
• Documents techniques for editing and manipulating geographic data
• Performs digital feature extraction from multiple data sources
• Examines digital data accurately
• Identifies process improvements and implements improved work methods
• Completes complex project specific guidance
• Develops, provides and displays data through analysis, manipulation and creation
• Reviews how data is generated and the limits of the data and how it should be interpreted
• Utilizes various tools within the Geographic Information System software for this data analysis manipulation creation and data output
• Maintains and updates the County survey control system
• Monitors changes and revision by consulting with system vendors
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Principles methods, techniques and practices of Geographic Information Systems System technology, program languages and database construction.
• Operation of computer-aided Geographic Information System systems
• Software interface capabilities
• Cadastral and topographical maps
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Translating or expressing technical functions of electronic data processing systems into non-technical terms
• Implementation of large scale mapping projects
• Planning, scheduling and coordinating project requests
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Develop innovative methods to achieve desired results
• Carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral or diagram form, and to produce desired outcomes timely and completely
• Applies standard project management methodologies within projects along with following change management processes
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Programming, Urban and Regional Planning or Geography-related field and one (1) year of GIS experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS