Job Details for 1461 - Personal Computer Technician
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under direction, performs work of moderate difficulty in installing, maintaining and supporting the desktop computing operation of the County; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this position spends a substantial amount of time providing technical support to desktop and laptop computers and peripherals; and end user support. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Network Systems Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Installs new technology related equipment including desktops, laptops, printer, and other peripheral equipment
• Installs software and applications on desktop and laptop computers
• Tests and debugs operating system and application installations
• Contacts vendors for solutions to hardware or software related issues
• Documents problems and resolution for future reference
• Instructs users on utilizing and accessing all applications installed
• Prepares training documentation related to equipment use
• Examines malfunctioning equipment, identifies issues and determines appropriate course of action
• Maintains inventory of desktop, laptop and related equipment including location changes and/or disposal of equipment
• Engages with end-users to analyze and correct problems
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignment or schedule in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment, may require emergency management training, licensure or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Microsoft Windows Operating Systems
• Microsoft Office
• TCP/IP protocols
• Desktop, laptop, printer and peripheral hardware
• Best practice and industry standards for Information Technology
• Effective communication, both verbally and in writing
• Translating or expressing technical machine functions of electronic information technology systems into non-technical terms
• Installing, maintaining and troubleshooting equipment
• Documenting programs and maintaining records
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Work independently or as part of a team
• Set and follow priorities
• Research emerging technology and comprehend new technology
• Read, interpret and apply complex technical publications, manuals and other documents
• Carry out instructions furnished in writing, oral or diagram form, and to produce desired outcomes
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field and one (1) year of experience in computer system set-up and operations; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Exerting up to 40 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS