FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under general supervision, performs work of considerable difficulty related to the County's community outreach goals. This position interacts proactively with County officials, departments, members of the media and the community to ensure the public is informed about DuPage County initiatives, events and actions, performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class produces a variety of internal and external materials using multiple platforms to inform the public about DuPage County, its departments, programs, or services. This employee serves as a spokesperson for the county as a public resource on issues of interest to the community, the media and the County Board.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Assists in preparation and execution of the County's communication plan
• Prepares and carries through to completion specific assignments to inform the public and media about County activities, events and initiatives
• Provides regular media updates to the Chairman and County Board
• Responds to general questions or provides interpretations of County Board actions or program services
• Conducts research, writes and edits content for DuPage County government for distribution via multiple channels including: traditional, social and electronic media.
• Writes and edits press releases, speeches, statements, opinion pieces, and other editorial and feature pieces.
• Creates and executes media plans for County events and initiatives, including responding to and initiating media calls and coverage.
• Integrates strategically digital content for the website, social media and other platforms (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube).
• Prepares and writes articles, brochures and newsletters on a wide variety of subjects using original and innovative techniques or style.
• Contributes ideas to plans, layouts, and arrangements for photo and artwork
• Assists with planning and coordinating events
• Maintains content for assigned County websites and social media sites
• Maintains confidentiality of privileged information
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• English, punctuation, spelling and the operation of office equipment
• Technical processes associated with producing a publication
• Government practices and principles
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Developing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with internal and external customers
• Translating complex information into clear public messages
• Developing and maintaining positive relationships with members of the media and community
• Working within politically sensitive, complex situations
• Creative story development
• Analyzing facts and in exercising judgment and arriving at conclusions
• Carrying out job responsibilities with minimal supervision
• Establishing and maintaining working relationships
• Video editing and desktop publishing
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in Journalism or English; three years of experience in multi-media editorial work with emphasis on writing and producing publications; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS