Job Details for 4238 - Nutrition Assistant
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under immediate supervision; performs work of routine difficulty in providing clerical and menu support for the Dining Services Department; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class is responsible for performing routine menu assistance work, involving tasks related to meal ticket preparation, answering phones and checking the tray line for accuracy; the ability to work effectively with a variety of personnel and residents. Immediate supervision is received from the Dietitian Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Check resident trays for accuracy
• Print and prepare meal tickets and production reports on a daily basis
• Print labels for snacks and tube feeding bottles
• Organize and print menus
• Process new diet orders and update meal tickets for residents
• Answer phones and provide assistance as necessary
• Coordinate delivery of additional food items to residents
• Answer questions and take food requests from residents and family members as needed
• Observes safety standards and practices
• Performs mathematical computations, and operates or utilizes a telephone system, basic office equipment, and software programs at a basic level of proficiency.
• Verifies resident diet information and enters new information into required database
• May assist in providing training on position tasks to new employees and current employees
• Assists in the maintenance of records
• Takes telephone messages and relays information to appropriate staff
• Files documents alphabetically, numerically, or by other prescribed methods
• Maintains confidentiality of client information
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Participates in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Assists other employees in the performance of their job, as directed by responsible supervisors, using the necessary equipment in the performance of their jobs.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Basic mathematical principals
• English, spelling and arithmetic
• Basic computer software and applications
• Tray line and corresponding positions
• Typing accurately from plain copy or a rough draft
• Verbal and/or written communications
• Dealing effectively with others.
• Work with minimal supervision
• Effectively communicate with the staff and residents in a professional manner
• Ability to follow directions and work together as a team player
• Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with co-workers, supervisors, other County personnel and the public
• Ability to operate tools and equipment listed
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED equivalent. 6 months experience in food service; or equivalent combination of experience and training.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Medium work: Exert up to 30 pounds of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, and pull or otherwise move objects. Work involves sitting, standing, and the ability to move throughout the department which includes the kitchen area to perform duties and interact with staff and residents.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Office and kitchen environment which may include extreme temperatures and slippery floors. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to quiet.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS