FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under general supervision performs work of considerable difficulty supporting, coordinating and assisting in the implementation of the Public Works and Stormwater IT functions, (SCADA) control and monitoring, and GIS mapping systems; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class assists and coordinates the implementation and maintenance of the County's Public Works and Stormwater industrial and SCADA systems. Work involves troubleshooting, programming, installation, and repair of the system. Work is performed under the general supervision of the appropriate Division Systems Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Develops master electrical projects and integrates individual projects and components
• Coordinates and implements the installation of new hardware and software for the department. (e.g. servers, routers, billing operations, plant industrial operations, etc.)
• Prepares cost estimates, coordinates design efforts and oversight of construction for process instrumentation and computer control system improvements for wastewater and water operations
• Troubleshoots, repairs and maintains industrial control systems for wastewater and water operations.
• Researches and procures appropriate new/replacement components and systems for the Public Works and Stormwater IT infrastructure needs.
• Coordinates and implements the installation of Programmable logic controllers, electronic operator interfaces, Human Machine Interface programming, specifies the installation of instrumentation equipment
• Coordinates and directs electrical, HVAC and Operations staff to upgrade and maintain control systems and equipment.
• Assists in the maintenance of the departments GIS mapping systems, and coordinates GIS activities within Public Works and other County departments.
• Assists with scheduling projects with regard to IT activities.
• Assists in the design and implementation of computer networking communication, monitoring and control systems
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Principles and practices of the IT infrastructure operations
• Computer networking, supervisory control and data acquisition, equipment
• Programmable logic controllers
• Computer software
• Effective administrative management principles
• Basic office practices, procedures and equipment
• Applicable industry standards
• Assisting with coordinating the activities of staff Enforcing Federal, State and local regulations
• Preparing technical reports and operating procedures
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, to all disciplines of IT infrastructure
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals
• Plan, analyze and evaluate programs and services, operational needs and fiscal constraints
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field; plus three years of professional experience in computer programming, GIS or similar field; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS