FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision, performs work of moderate difficulty communicating pertinent information regarding the County’s services, initiatives and activities through multiple platforms; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Employees in this class perform professional work in organizing, preparing and overseeing the creation of materials and brand identify for the County’s departments and offices. This position will work to produce and promote relevant content for the County’s multiple social media and multimedia platforms. This position will report to the Communications Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Conducts research, write and edit content for DuPage County government for distribution via multiple channels including: traditional, social and electronic media
• Develop and execute communications plan to raise awareness of County events, initiatives and strategic goals utilizing traditional and social media tools and leveraging community partnerships and resources
• Provide departments with support and recommendations related to graphics, digital media and video productions
• Plan, create and coordinate content on County website (i.e. coordinate information and presentation, integrate and upload photographs, images, video and other content)
• Prepare and lay out material in the production of County newsletters press releases and other internal and external publications
• Strategically integrate digital content for the website, social media and other platforms (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube)
• Write and edit speeches, educational literature, correspondence, statements, and feature pieces in coordination with the County Communication staff
• Prepare and write articles, brochures and newsletters on a wide variety of subjects using original and innovative techniques or styles
• Coordinate and produce a variety of products and services designed to enhance and preserve the image of DuPage County as an important and multifaceted but unified organizations
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Various social media platforms and social media engagement strategies
• Public affairs programs and corporate communications
• Media relations
• English, punctuation, and spelling
• Technical processes associated with producing a publication
• Government practices and principles
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Writing articles, brochures and newsletters on a wide variety of subjects
• Reviewing web-based designs
• Speech writing for various audiences
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a Bachelor's degree in Communication, Public Relations, Public Administration or Journalism and one year of experience in the communications or media field; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS