FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of moderate difficulty in acting as a lead worker to staff engaged in assisting the public with applying for permits; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
This position is of an advanced technical nature, involving the processing of permits. Employees in this class have strong human-relations skills requiring sensitivity to department issues and the ability to work effectively with others to obtain cooperation. This position is distinguished from the Permits Technician by the degree of complexity of assignments, as well as, the lead worker and training responsibilities. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Building & Zoning Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Serves as a lead worker, overseeing the work of subordinate personnel involved in the permitting process
• Assists the public with applying for permits, and the submittal examination/processing of highway impact fees
• Assists with the planning and implementation of relevant training for staff
• Assists with the development of uniform procedures
• Assists supervisor with special projects in areas of responsibility
• Provides assistance to staff on more difficult aspects of work
• Answers complex inquiries regarding policies or procedures by providing information requiring interpretations and familiarity with building codes, zoning, and stormwater ordinances
• Assists customers with building and zoning violations
• Oversees the County contractor registration program
• Handles irate callers referred to the office in accordance with department policy, practices, and procedures
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignment or schedule in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment, may require emergency management training, licensure or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Customer service techniques
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• Building codes, Zoning and Stormwater ordinances and County impact fee structure
• Current office practices, procedures, and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Management and leadership principles
• Using computer hardware and software including work processing, spreadsheets, databases,email, etc
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Applying and interpreting the policies of the Building & Zoning Department
• How to read blueprints, plats of survey and technical submissions
• Using a personal computer and applicable software
• Determining compliance with appropriate codes and ordinances
• Planning, scheduling and supervising the work of others
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations and statutory requirements
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
• Prioritize and assign work
• Provide leadership to effectively resolve issues
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma equivalent and five years of customer service experience, two of which include experience dealing with building, construction, or blueprints; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS