Job Details for 1421 - IT Support Specialist
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
Under general supervision; performs work of moderate difficulty in the supporting, monitoring and maintenance of computer systems and networks; performs related work as required.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
An employee in this class provides customer service; receives, prioritizes, assists, resolves and documents end user help requests; monitors systems, applications and connections in a multi-platform environment; judgement is required in identifying problem, prioritizing requests and knowing when to escalate support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Fields incoming technical help requests from end users, determines next level of support, troubleshoots issues and service request fulfillment through various modes of communication (i.e. phone, email, mobile text, etc.)
• Records and documents the details of the issue or service requests
• Maintains call center database, response to user inquiries regarding the status of incident/work order tickets and performs follow up communications until resolution or completion of request
• Acts as an advocate for end users to ensure high quality and timely service and support from the technical support team
• Follows department standards, processes and procedures on ongoing issues and escalation with outside vendors
• Reviews batch schedules and fulfills user requests to run a variety of job utilizing automated job scheduling software interprets system messages and utilizes good judgement in identifying, resolving and reporting of system issues
• Monitors and operates business class server (e.g. z/OS; MVS, JES2), monitors web and client/server based applications, servers, LAN/WAN connections and other information systems utilizing systems automation and monitoring software; performs basic problem determination, analysis and resolution
• Utilizes personal computing hardware and software to perform duties and routine system maintenance and/or emergency system recovery.
• Runs system and data back ups
• Safeguards security of equipment and data files
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Current Microsoft Office Suite Products
• Operation, care and adjustment of a wide variety of data processing equipment
• Current technological development/trends in an enterprise data center environment
• Call center or IT help desk operations
• Automation and monitoring software
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Reasoning and thinking logically
• Troubleshooting problems
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent; and three years of experience in an IT Help Desk Operations environment supporting a variety of hardware, software and application installations; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Position is typically office or administrative work and is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS