JOB NUMBER: 1546
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Under general direction performs work of moderate difficulty in managing the operations of the central supply room and mailroom.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS
Employees in this class are responsible for supervising the daily mail operations, supply and inventory, and shipping and receiving operations. Policies and procedures are developed and monitored through employees in this class. A substantial amount of time is spent supervising subordinate personnel. General direction is received from a division manager, administrator or supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by positions in this class.
• Plans and organizes mail, supply and shipping operations for the Office
• Supervises the work of office clerical personnel engaged in mail and package preparation, distribution and billing, supply ordering, and general shipping and receiving for the Office
• Develops and recommends procedures to ensure effective operations for unit
• Recommends hires and promotions, directs and evaluates employment decisions for all assigned positions
• Assists departments with special mail use, shipping, or supply needs
• Acts as liaison between various shipping couriers and the Office
• Handles collection and processing of postage due envelopes
• Reviews and approves invoices and special purchase items
• Ensures prompt and efficient delivery of shipments, supplies and interoffice mail by staff
• Oversees and assists in the receiving, inventory and distribution of supplies and other materials
• Ensures the accurate maintenance of inventory records
• Administration of Office Uniform programs for all personnel
• Reconciles any discrepancies with vendors, packages and ships any items received in error
• Ensures quality control for purchased items
• Conducts inventories and determines quantities for re-orders
• Maintenance and distribution of all associated Office forms and documents
• Liaison with state and federal agencies for proper legal correspondence needs
• Prepares statistical reports and assists in budget preparation for the work unit
• Assists unit staff in the performance of duties as needed
• Operates equipment such as 4-wheel flat bed, 2-wheel dolly, electric walkie-stacker and van
• Maintains regular attendance and punctuality
NON-ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Adjusts work assignments and schedules in the event of an emergency to participate in emergency preparedness, response, and recovery activities as assigned.
• Depending on assignment may maintain required emergency management training, licensure and/or certifications.
• Performs related duties as required or assigned within job classification.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
• Postal and shipping regulations
• Modern storekeeping and warehousing methods and practices
• Pricing policies as pertains to supplies, materials and parts critical to department operations
• Quality control and inventory standards
• Record keeping procedures
• Basic mathematical computations
• Shipping and receiving methods
• Current office practices, procedures and equipment
• County policies and procedures
• Applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes
• Supervising subordinates and planning department work flow
• Report preparation and analysis of data
• Forecasting inventory needs
• Using computer inventory systems
• Handling supply, equipment and mail receipt and distribution
• Using computer hardware and software including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, email, etc.
• Applying an acquired knowledge of procedures, rules, regulations and services applicable to the assigned office
• Manage projects and multiple priorities simultaneously
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with department and division staff, other departments and others, such as vendors
• Communicate and use interpersonal skills to interact with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. to sufficiently exchange or convey information and to receive work direction
• Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws, rules, and regulations
• Convey excellent oral and written communication
• Work effectively under stress
• Maintain confidentiality
Exercises supervision of personnel in related area of responsibility.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Completion of a High School Diploma or GED equivalent and four years of experience working in a storeroom or secondary mailroom including two years of supervisory or administrative experience; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Light Work: Exerting up to 25 pounds of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Use of arm and /or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than for sedentary work. This position is required to operate motorized equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment for this position regularly includes working near moving mechanical parts in extreme outside weather conditions.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
This position requires a valid Illinois driver's license.