Employment Opportunity: Community/Social Services
Title: Community Services Intern
Posting No.: 1054
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Community Services
Hours: Temporary: 37.5 hour per week, Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Salary: $10.50 per hour
We currently have one (1) temporary Social Services Intern position which will work from May 2017 to August 2017.
DuPage County Community services seeks an Intern for the Intake and Referral and Housing Support and Self-Sufficiency Units. The role of the Social Services Intern would be to conduct screenings for Community Service Block Grant (CSBG), homeless prevention, and family self-sufficiency programs, increase community awareness by participating in community outreach and work on CSBG grant projects. The intern would work closely with the manager and coordinators of both the Intake and Referral and Housing Support, and Self-Sufficiency units to learn and develop the necessary skills.
• Conducts in person screenings for CSBG services such as basic need vouchers
• Assists in administering a CSBG scholarship grant program
• Attends community meetings to learn and share about services
• Assists with researching current and accurate resources for our resource database
• Attends training on confidentiality, mental health first aid, mandatory reporting, and the essential social services best practices
• Observes activities in the homeless prevention program such as rent assistance appointments, home visits, workshops and assessment team meetings in the Housing Support and Self-Sufficiency unit
• Obtains direct experience with clients through housing screenings, rental appointments with supervision, and acts as a case management liaison in the Housing Support and Self-Sufficiency unit
• Assists in completing and compiling of client satisfaction surveys, outcome reports, or follow-up calls for both units
• Performs various routine clerical duties (e.g., utilizing standard office equipment, to include: screening incoming calls, taking and transmitting messages, performing data entry, making photocopies)
• Assists the Intake and Referral and Housing Support and Self-Sufficiency units with their special projects on an as-needed basis
Requirements include the following experience or equivalent combination of training and experience:
• Must be actively enrolled in graduate level program in Social Work, Sociology or Human Services at an accredited institution to obtain a Master’s degree
• Strong written and verbal communications skills, as well as time management skills
• Ability to multi-task with different assigned projects
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office products and basic internet applications
• Flexible and work well with others
• Working knowledge of social service processes, programs, services and/or resources desired
A pre-employment background check is required.
This is a grant funded position.
Applications accepted until this position is filled.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer