Employment Opportunity: Automotive
Title: Automotive Mechanic
Posting No.: 1347
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Transportation and Highways
Hours: Full-Time: Monday-Friday 6:00 a.m.-2:30 p.m., overtime and on-call as needed, to include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays
Salary: $44,000-$47,000 annually
• Perform preventive maintenance checks and repairs on County vehicles, road testing vehicles for proper operating levels, and diagnosing drivability and emission systems
• Removal and repair of engines, cylinder heads, and differentials
• Repair steering and suspension components, and wheel alignments
• Repair exhaust and fuel injection systems
• Respond to roadway service calls for broken down equipment and vehicles
• Inspect the condition of shock absorbers, drive trains, and cooling and electrical systems for optimum operating efficiency
• Clean and maintain the workshop, pick up parts, and record vehicle maintenance history
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, operate tools and equipment with your hands and arms, climb, crouch or stoop, lift and carry up to 80 lbs.
• The work environment for this position regularly includes working near moving mechanical parts, with hazardous materials, with fumes or airborne particles, in cramped or confined spaces, and occasionally in extreme outside weather conditions
• Employees in this class are required to be on call for emergency situations and seasonal snow removal, which means being capable of working in excess of forty (40) hours per week
Requirements include the following experience or equivalent combination of training and experience:
• High School diploma or GED equivalent, the completion of one high school level automotive maintenance course, and three years’ experience in the repair and maintenance of automobiles and light trucks
The preferred candidate will possess an Illinois Class A or B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or will be able to obtain one within 90 days of hire. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification is also preferred.
This position is included in the Bargaining Unit of the International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 150 and will be required to pay a fair share to the Union.
A post offer physical is required.
A pre-employment background check is required.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer