Employment Opportunity: Animal Services
Title: Veterinary Technician
Posting No.: 1772
Closing Date: Until Filled
Department: Animal Services
Hours: Part-Time: 18 hours per week, Monday 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Thursday 8:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m., Saturday 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
Salary: $18.00-$20.00 per hour
DuPage County Animal Services is an immediate open admission shelter caring for more than 2,300 animals of varying species annually. We are currently seeking a Veterinary Technician to assist the Administrator/Veterinarian in all aspects of medical and surgical rounds, practices, and procedures. There is one part-time position open at this time.
• Monitors daily animal observation sheets, maintains health check list and surgical schedule for animals in shelter and in foster
• Recognizes and communicates animal health concerns to veterinarian
• Performs catheterization both urinary and venous and proficient at venipuncture
• Cleans and bandages wounds as ordered by the veterinarian
• Administers medication, (e.g. as injections, oral medications, topical treatments, etc.) as directed by Veterinarian
• Administers euthanasia when instructed
• Cleans instruments, wraps surgical packs and maintains medical equipment
• Reviews vaccination records, prepares and administers vaccines according to vaccine protocol
• Performs intake exams and administers intake vaccinations as per protocol
• Provides medical support and facilitates routine check-ups for fosters
• Performs in-house laboratory procedures or prepares samples for outside lab services
• Induces, intubates, monitors and recovers patients under anesthesia
• Provides critical care for sick and injured animals
• Maintains pharmacy, surgical, controlled substance, anesthesia and laboratory records and inventory, and orders medical and surgical supplies when needed
• Prepackages unit dose medications and refills bulk medications
• Obtains vital signs of animals (e.g. temperature, pulse, respiration, etc.)
• Injects microchips
• Works with veterinarian to maintain complete and accurate medical records
Physical requirements and work environment:
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee may regularly be required to walk, reach with hands and/or arms and lift up to 50 lbs.
• While performing the duties and responsibilities, the employee will be exposed to loud noise, noxious odors, and will be subject to animal bites, scratches, and/or kicks
• The employee will be exposed to supplies commonly used in a veterinary setting
• The employee may be potentially exposed to zoonotic diseases, dangerous or fractious animals, infectious disease, and sharp objects
• The employee may work in confined spaces while performing duties on the mobile veterinary vehicle
Requirements include the following experience or equivalent combination of training and experience:
• Completion of an Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology
• Three years of experience as a Veterinary Technician with at least two of those years worked in a shelter setting; or a minimum of five years of experience as a Veterinary Technician
• A valid Illinois Driver’s License
• Ability to obtain certification as a Euthanasia Technician within 6 months of hire
A pre-employment background check is required.
Applications accepted until position is filled.
DuPage County is an Equal Opportunity Employer