skip to main content
The County of DuPage
Wheaton, Illinois

Press Release

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Michael Alforso Sentenced to Natural Life for Murder of Two Former Girlfriends

WHEATON - DuPage County State’s Attorney Joseph E. Birkett announced today that Michael Alfonso, 38 (d.o.b. 6/26/69), in exchange for a sentence of natural life in prison without the possibility of parole, entered pleas of guilty to First Degree Murder for the 2001 murder of Genoveva Franco Velasquez and the 1992 murder of Sumanear Yang. As part of the agreement, which was approved by Judge Kathryn Cresswel, Alfonso provided a video taped account of the 1992 murder of Sumanear Yang. During the taped confession, for the first time, Alfonso said he actually murdered Sumanear in a Wheaton parking lot outside the Marion Park complex where the defendant lived. Alfonso also implicated his cousin who helped him destroy evidence by torching Sumanear’s car on the south side of Chicago.

At approximately 8:30 a.m. on June 6, 2001, Alfonso shot and killed Velasquez as she approached a restaurant where she worked as an Assistant Manager. Alfonso approached Velasquez outside the restaurant, pulled a hand gun from a duffel bag and shot Velasquez at point blank range, firing several shots into her body as she lay on the ground. Alfonso fled the scene disposing of the murder weapon in a nearby sewer. Alfonso’s abandoned vehicle was later found at an Indianapolis Airport. Alfonso fled the country to Mexico where he remained until Mexican authorities deported him in July of 2004. Alfonso, under his birth name Michael Johnson, was charged with the 1992 murder of Sumanear Yang, in Kendall County because her body was recovered in Silver Springs Park in Kendall County. Yang, who was pregnant with Alfonso’s child, had been killed by a gunshot wound to the head. At the time of the Velasquez murder, Alfonso was the only suspect in the Yang murder. Both Velasquez and Yang had been romantically involved with Alfonso.

“Today’s agreement marks the end of proceedings against Michael Alfonso,” commented Birkett. “With today’s agreement hopefully the family, friends and relatives of Genoveva Velasquez and Sumanear Yang can finally have closure and a sense of justice with the knowledge that Michael Alfonso will never be a free man again.” Birkett went on to thank the many agencies involved in this case. “I would like to thank the Wheaton Police Department, the Kendall County State’s Attorney’s Office, the Kendall County Sheriff’s Office, the Major Crimes Task Force, the Federal Bureau of Investigations, the Department of Justice, the Harris County, Texas District Attorney’s Office, the Harris County Sheriff’s Department and the Mexican Government for their cooperation and assistance in the apprehension, prosecution and ultimate removal of Michael Alfonso from society.

Despite the fact that Alfonso did not receive the ultimate punishment, the death penalty, it was the prospect of the death penalty that caused him to change his pleas to guilty and accept the fate that awaits him.” In all, Alfonso pled guilty to two counts of First Degree Murder, one count of Aggravated Stalking, one Count of Intentional Homicide of an Unborn Child, one count of Concealment of a Homicidal Death and one count of Kidnapping.