skip to main content
The County of DuPage
Wheaton, Illinois

Press Release

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Bond Set for Two Men Charged in West Chicago Murder

DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert B. Berlin and West Chicago Chief of Police Michael Uplegger announced today that bond has been set for two men accused of killing twenty-six year-old Alexander Nicolas in West Chicago late last week. Juan Calderon, 21 (d.o.b. 9/27/1997) of 405 E. Benton Street, Aurora, and Emilio Guillen, 27 (d.o.b. 1/28/1991) of 613 Ranger Street, Rockford, appeared at a bond hearing this morning where Judge Jeffrey Mackay set at $4 million with 10% to apply for Calderon and $2 million with 10% to apply for Guillen. Both men have been charged with one count of First Degree Murder.  
            On November 9, 2018, at approximately 7:34 a.m., West Chicago police responded to a 9-1-1 call of a man found lying on the ground in the 600 block of E. Forest Avenue. Upon their arrival, officers found the victim, Nicolas, lying face up with blood coming from the back of his head. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The West Chicago Police Department, with assistance from the Major Crimes Task Force, immediately initiated an investigation. It is alleged that at approximately 11:19 p.m., on November 8, 2018, the victim was near his vehicle on E. Forest Avenue when he was approached by the defendants and another man, co-defendant Fredi Bautista, 26 (d.o.b. 5/15/1992) of 141 E. Brown Street, West Chicago. It is alleged that the defendants attacked and ultimately shot the victim in the head. It is alleged that Guillen gave the order to shoot the victim and that upon receiving the order, Calderon allegedly shot the victim in the head. It is further alleged that following the murder, the three men got into Guillen’s car and fled the scene. The investigation led to the three defendants. Calderon was taken into custody on November 12 at his home. Guillen was taken into custody on November 10 at his home. Bautista is currently in custody and is expected to appear in Bond Court tomorrow morning. He has been charged with one count of First Degree Murder.  
            “It is alleged that these three defendants brutally murdered Alexander Nicolas simply because they believed he was in a rival gang,” Berlin said. “This gang-fueled violence must be stopped. The senseless killing of an unarmed man in a residential neighborhood will not be tolerated. I would like to thank the West Chicago Police Department, the Major Crimes Task Force and the Rockford Police Department for their cooperative efforts that led to the charges against these three men. I would also like to thank Assistant State’s Attorneys Helen Kapas and Kristin Johnston for the tremendous amount of work they have put into this investigation the past several days.”
  “This investigation has been a collaborative effort involving numerous agencies,” Uplegger said. “Thanks to their efforts, we were able to arrest and charge the suspects in this case and begin the process of seeking justice for the victim and his family for this senseless crime.”            
Calderon’s next court appearance is scheduled for December 6, 2018. Guillen’s next court appearance is scheduled for December 5, 2018. The cases against both men will be in front of Judge MacKay.    
            Members of the public are reminded that these complaints contain only charges and are not proof of the defendants’ guilt.  The defendants are presumed innocent and are entitled to a fair trial in which it is the government’s burden to prove their guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.
###