Churchill Woods Dam Removal
The Churchill Woods dam removal was a water quality-driven project on the East Branch DuPage River. During the construction phases, the dam was fully removed, riffles were installed to maintain a stable stream and adjacent wetlands were restored with
the planting of native plants. Project successes include:
- Increased stream flow and improved dissolved oxygen levels
- Established a wetland habitat by planting nearly 150,000 mature plugs of native species
- Eliminated the upstream impoundment to reduce water temperatures & excessive algal biomass
- Removed barriers to native fish & mussel dispersion, increasing fish movement & biodiversity in local streams
- Installed riffles to maintain a stable stream channel to prevent sediment buildup & erosion.